Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Osteen

Yesterday I had the opportunity to watch a segment of 60 Minutes I Tivo'd interviewing and taking an inside look at Joel Osteen's life. Osteen, of course, is the pastor of Lakewood Church here in Houston who, upon the passing of his father (Pastor John Osteen) in 1999, became the second pastor of what is now 'heralded' as the largest church in the United States of America. I will not use my blog to say where I am in relation to my personal opinion(s) of Osteen. I will say that as I saw the interview, I honestly believe (and this is only my view) that the young man is sincere. Interestingly, sincerity means nothing is you a sincerely wrong. Now I will get in trouble for my next statement but I will say it nonetheless--but I do admire Osteen to the same extent that I admire Dr. Phil. Both of them are likable, charismatic, intriguing, mysterious, motivational, helpful, and their books are have a Norman V. Peale/Robt. Schuller flare and appeal that is unparalleled. I would actually recommend their books for self help, insights, motivation, and even some biblical insights. They are BOTH Christian and men that I would probably invite to my house for dinner--though I'd much rather be invited to theirs. Incidentally, whether I'm impressed or not--being the kind of person I am--I would study and observe anyone who was touted as the pastor of the largest church in the U.S. I've studied Bill Hybels, Rick Warren, etc. But here is my problem--it isn't as much with Osteen as it is with the consumers who flock to Lakewood, treating the church is if it is a country club, recreation park, and a rock concert. I will not judge--because only GOD sees into the heart of every individual. But something in Osteen's interview caught my spiritual attention. He was asked if he was concerned about the criticism and other's accusations of his compromising the gospel, etc. He said, in a nutshell that he didn't want to beat people upside the head with where they were, etc. Then he said something that really dealt with me (I can actually quote him verbatim on this): There are some who explain the scriptures, expose them, and relate them--that's just not my gift.... Wow! That really dealt with me--isn't that what we as preachers and proclaimers of the Word of God have been called to do? To explain the scriptures? I won't get into whether or not it is a spiritual gift or not. But I do know that 2 Timothy 2:15 admonishes us to 'rightly divide the Word of truth'. I want to encourage everyone who visits this blogspot to 'try the Spirit by the Spirit'. I am committed to 'rightly dividing' the 'Word of Truth'. I pray that through explaining the Word, God will make His word relevant to the people. I believe He will do it. I don't know if this chides with the scripture or not--I didn't mean for this blog to be theological--but you know what my hope is? That God will raise up more and more congregations who will not compromise the exposition of scripture and the Word of God. No doubt, he is already doing this. We need more Christ-centered churches where the Word of God is the centerpiece to successful living, holiness, discipleship, and transformation. I am intent on seeing God do this in our fellowship....

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Kraig, I caught that interview and I must say I have changed my opinion on Joel. I used to harbor a negative opinion about Olsteen but that interview totally changed my mind about him. I now think Olsteen is a very sincere, individual who desperately wants to help people and who truly believes in what he does. However, and I do mean emphatically, However, he should not label himself or call what he does preaching. It definetly is not that.

Pastor Kraig L. Pullam said...

I think we are the same page when it comes to his sincerity. I believe that he is sincere. How valid is preaching when it is sincere? As far as whether or not it is preaching--I am still exploring where I am with this as far as Osteen is concerned. There are so many definitions of preaching and I do know that there are certain cultures who present their messages and press their claims differently. I've always defined true preaching as exposition of scripture. You have provoked me to really do a study on what preaching is verses what it is not. On the surface, we would call Osteen's presentations 'preaching' because he uses scripture(s). I will look at this--would also like to know your views--on why you state that it isn't preaching. Thank you for challenging me on this issue!!!

Anonymous said...

Bro Olsteen is a wonderful motivational speaker. I would consider his "fellowship" as an alternative if I wanted to be entertained in that fashion. I believe the roadmap to heaven and the instuctions for my soul is in preaching of the whole bible. Leaving out Jesus,sin and its consequences is NOT an option in the preached word.

vlpsongbird