Thursday, October 18, 2007

...Glossolitis

For the past month we have been in a teaching series on Why Churches Die: Diagnosing Lethal Poisons in the Body of Christ. I know that many can get deep when first examining this subject and suggest this is an oxymoronic statement-the true church can not die because Christ is the Head of the church and He will not let it die. In a real sense, this is true! I believe that that logic relates to the church universal. This book seeks to tackle sicknesses in the body of Christ from the vantage point of the membership. Brunson & Caner draw parallels between sicknesses of the human body and ailments among members of the body of Christ. It is what they have labeled and tagged as 'Spiritual Forensics'. I really wanted to begin Paul's epistle to the Romans, beginning with the first chapter and the first verse. Something (SomeOne) led to glance at the next lesson in the Why Church Die series. The topic is Glossolitis: Swollen Tongues of Fire. The discussion (teaching) centers on this premise: Murmuring Miriam and Sowing Seeds of Discord (Numbers 12:1-15). Of course, I must continue this teaching series, atleast for this week! The underlying theme is GOSSIP. We have a problem with this sickening and deadening (toxic) disease at our church, more than anyone cares to admit. I am certain this is the case in many churches; most of us sense that it isn't going to change. I am convinced that the inevitability of change-lessness should not negate our addressing the issue. It NEEDS to be addressed, even if NO ONE decided to heed and obey. After all, The Apostle Paul succinctly stated that I, the spiritual leader, will be judged if I don't teach it--I will be held accountable! After reading the lesson and studying scriptures, it is clear to me that God despises, abhors, and hates gossip, slander, and a 'false witness'. If just this one sickness is examined, diagnosed, and treated--this alone will do wonders for many churches--but I will just say the one that I pastor. In studying the lesson, I am discovering that at the heart of gossip is suggestion, assumption, deception, and (surprising to me) UN-FORGIVENESS!!! I do desire desperately for God to do a work in and on the people in our congregation, beginning with myself. I know that the Word is a mirror, not a window to look and point at others. I must say as Pastor, however, that God has shown me this is a serious problem in our church and is preventing our growth, joy, freedom in worship, liberation in our praise, and even fully trusting and following pastoral leadership--gossip. I would have never even imagined that a fellowship so small in number would have any problems at all, other than financial. Financially we are not doing what we could do and should do in terms of our giving. But, sadly, that pales in comparison to the toxic issues that threaten to pervade and infect our entire body-if it hasn't already. I pray that the lesson tonight goes well. More importantly, I earnestly pray that those who struggle with this sickness will be convicted, repent, and turn from their ways. If we could turn that negative energy (spreading the BAD NEWS) into positive energy (getting out the GOOD NEWS)--our church would be one of the brightest beacons of light in our dark city!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kraig, sounds like a book I need to read. I have been blessed by Caner's writing and know that this one will be helpful also.


Tony

Pastor Kraig L. Pullam said...

Pastor Tony R...It is a good book! I was familiar with Brunson, who followed Joel Gregory and O.S. Hawkins(?) at 1st Bapt. Dallas. But I will have to check into Caner's other writings. If possible, please let me know which of his books you've read and were most helpful. Man, on another not, I've been trying to get back to that DTS library every since we went while at the E.K. Bailey conference. I would like to know if you ever decide to go to another; I haven't been to that conference since.

Anonymous said...

I haven't had a chance to get back to the DTS book store but I would really like to. I haven't been to the Bailey conference since the last time you were there.
Caner co authored a book with his brother Emir entitled "More Than A Prophet". It is an apologetic piece. With he and his brother being former Muslims turned Christian, it gives some very helpful information concerning the teachings of Islam. I have a bent for Apologetics and enjoy good writing concerning the subject. It has really helped me to understand and appreciate even more the historical realities behind the Christian faith. Our's is not an empty faith, blind faith, a leap in the dark or even faith in faith but faith in reality and the Truth.
We are admonished to "Sanctify the Lord God in your hearts and be ready always to give answer to every that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear." 1Pt. 3:15

Tony

Anonymous said...

thank!
Kraig