Monday, October 22, 2007

New Territory

At the beginning of 2007, we began the process of implementing a vision of outreach--that included a church daycare as well as a community center that would literally improve the quality of the surrounding community and allow us to go further and do more. We incorporated & amended and laid the groundwork for two of these ventures: Pebble Learning Center (Daycare) and The Dream Center (Community Outreach Center). The only thing we haven't had the finances to do is file for our 501c3, the very thing we need to have a tax-exempt status. To say the least, God opened up a door and I will be meeting with a member of President Bush's faith-based initiative board on tomorrow morning. I am nervous but also excited about the possibilities of finalizing the preliminary groundwork--that I have committed much of my time, prayers, and energy since December of '06. I do believe that this is an 'Open Door' for our church. Once we finalize and are granted our 501c3 status within the next month (I pray), then we are able to apply for grants--which he will be helping us with. By the way--he is also a pastor! Once I see how this works, I will pass the information along. As our congregation already knows, I am not very fond of Mr. Bush (though I do pray for him--he needs it!). But his faith-based initiative plan, believe it or not, is outstanding!!! If you've seen it, it is almost overwhelming to view all of the endless possibilities and the funds that are not only out there, but granted to churches and congregations who pursue it. This is not for every church; I wouldn't recommend it for every church. And we will always do only that which honors Christ and also serves in the best interest of our church and our people. One thing we need and I need throughout the remainder of the year--is prayer. I will explain in a future blog how the daycare, dream center, and ultimately Living Stone Community Development Corporation (Affordable housing project) ties into the entire Cornerstone vision.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm praying for you!