Saturday, October 13, 2007

Just a Thought

Occasionally I visit the blogspot of H.B. Charles, Jr. (http://www.hblogcharlesjr.blogspot.com/) for spiritual insights, valuable nuggets, and (to be quite honest) sermonic ideas-he is an inspiration to so many young preachers, particularly his commitment to thorough study, biblical exposition, and his integrity, call, and Christian commitment glistens through his very persona. If you've met him, you know exactly what I mean. When I visited his page not long ago, I noticed that he had a book listed there by Ron Mehl entitled 'Meeting God at a Dead End'. I was captured (captivated & arrested) by the title of the book--and with the questions, dead ends, peculiar corners I have encountered in ministry--I felt as if I "needed" this book. I like books, and if H.B. recommends it, you can't really go wrong--so I ordered the book. I also ordered another book by Mehl that looked pretty interesting. God has blessed me with almost 3000 books in my library. To some, that isn't a lot--but I am really beginning to think fond thoughts (without using the word 'pride') about my little collection. It was always a dream of mine of getting as many books in my library as my dad--I'm not there but at the pace I'm going, I think I will be soon. *smile*. I went by our church P.O. Box this evening and, to my surprise, the books by Mehl had arrived. Upon opening up the package, something hit me like a ton of bricks--immediately when I saw the cover of 'Meeting God at a Dead End'--I realized I HAVE THIS BOOK!

Wow! Then it began to dawn on me--just a proverbial question-how often do WE do that? Instinctively, we rush in haste to search and acquire what, unbeknownst to us, was there all along. Dreams, ambitions, grace gifts, etc.--it was there all along. If only I had done invententory--I would have found this TREASURE and saved time, energy and, yes, money. All I can do--is once I find where that old book is--my responsibility is to give it to somebody else who needs God to meet them at a dead end. Maybe we have everything that we need that God will use to bless us and move us to what He has S.H.A.P.E.d us for; it just needs to be re-discovered and cultivated in the hand of the Master Craftsman. Just a thought; but I think it'll preach...and LIVE!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

3000 books WOW!! What about giving that extra copy to your Dad.
"Just a thought". :-)

vlpsongbird