Sunday, August 17, 2008

Fairview B.C., Part 1

I must admit that the Lord redeemed this day from the the horrible day I had yesterday! I woke up at about 8:00am this morning. You must understand, coming out of college, I was immediately thrust into a Pastoral position in 2001 that allowed me the blessed privilege of preaching every week at a 7:30 am service, at a church (Pleasant Hill) that was about 30 minutes from where we lived. I did that for four years each and every Sunday; for the past 4 years, I have been preaching out 8:15 am service. Make a long story short, it is very strange for my wife and I to wake up at a time we are usually entering into public worship.

Today was an awesome day. I look back over the years and realize that we have been with the Fairview family for 9 years for this revival. For nine years I have been sharing with the Fairview family on the 3rd Sunday in August and following with 3 nights of revival. Each and every year I am blown away by the love they share and express toward myself and family. Additionally, I often say that I may have to quit - for it seems apparant that Pastor Reed and Fairview may not be firing me anytime soon. They say that it is better to be asked up than to be asked down - I KNOW there are very gifted and capable ministers who have the ability and gift to speak to youth and young persons around our nation and world. I love them so much and I won't be walking away - SO...we'll just see what the Lord does!!!

Today I was actually led to deal with Mark 6 once again and used the subject 'Handling Life's Storms'. It isn't one of what I would consider to be my 'STICKS'; however, it is what the Lord would have me to share; and I suppose He, in His all wise providence, led me to share from this story because I am dealing with my own personal storms and tests. My voice has been acting strange lately; but the Lord allowed me to make it through the message. I did lose my voice toward the end of the message; and I really have a tendency to lose my trend of thought when concentrating on my allergies and my voice. To see how God works is amazing. I had in my mind to preach something entirely different - period. BUT the Lord kept pressuring me 'You need to share from Mark 6.' I did just that; and midway through it just seemed as if I wasn't getting the kind of 'response' I thought the message provoked. OF course, I have learned over the past several months not to even pressure the hearers to get with me. I fought the urge and just...preached. I shared from the Word; dealt with the story; incidentally, my notes were out of order (one of my sons!!! All I can say); the Lord just took that message beyond myself; stories and illustrations just flowed and it was beyond me. The Spirit just moved; and it was clear that I was no longer the PREACHER (Atleast that is what I gather now; at the time, I just didn't think it went well).

At the end of the entire message, I sat down...kind of in disappointment that my voice wouldn't let me 'close' and 'pull it' the way I would have liked; and in stunned disbelief that the message, in my view, was in complete chaos, dissaray, and out of order. But I continued with the usual closing of my eyes and thanking the Lord for using me. Only then did I notice that about 15 people had come to the altar - and for about 20 or so minutes they shared from their own experiences of going through 'storms' along with many more who came and shared, 'That message was for ME". To top it off, Pastor Reed shared how two or three weeks earlier...he shared with the congregation on the subject of dealing with our storms.

My point it this: I am learning more and more...this is NOT about me, thought it includes me. The Lord will never cease to amaze me. NEVER!

7 comments:

Pastor A. A. McGhee said...

If it's any encouragement to you, Fairview knows the kind of preacher you are. You are family, and just having you there, I 'm sure it was a blessing to all.

Thank God the real preacher does not allow us to go on these assignments alone. "Keep Preaching."

Vietta P's two cents worth said...

I am going to begin my comment here with your last sentence in this blog, which is MY first sentence in Pastor Lance's comments to his blog I JUST finished.

"The Lord never ceases to amaze me". I told Pastor Lance how it astonishes me the way the Man of God hears and obeys what it is the Lord wants preached. I have heard three times today where God lead in a different way than formerly planned.

Another amazing thing I have seen in todays events with three of my preacher blog acquaintances so far, including you Pastor Kraig...

...Pastor Lance preached the subject, "Handling the hard times", you Pastor Kraig preached "Handling life's storms" and my Pastor (Rev.W.L.) Preached "Standing firm in Trouble times". Surely this was "the" message God had for His people today. To God be praised!

Congratulations on your 9 years of revival there. Don't worry. God will handle the firing. You just "preach a little" and watch God deliver, even with the issues with your voice. Tell Dee and the boys hello. Be safe. I love you.

Pastor Kevin Lanier Pullam said...

God be praised for the great and marvelous things He continues to do. I am so proud of you as your brother and friend that, time after time, you allow the Lord to use you in such a wonderful and marvelous way.

Still Praying...

Kevin

Pastor W.L. Pullam said...

Praise the Lord! "O taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him!"
Wow! What an awesome report and testimony. Yes, when we "let go and let God" amazing things happen. And, yes, it is all about Him and not about us. He is the potter and we are the clay!
As your father in the ministry let me throw this in before I go any further. As it relates to sharing at Fairview, listen my brother, God knows exactly what He is doing and beyond any shadow of doubt, the pastor of this great church is a man of great wisdom and full of the spirit; a man of great integrity and stature, a man who is loved and respected across this nation; you just "go and preach". The Lord will decide when it is time for any quitting or changing of direction. Anyway, you didn't apply for the job in the first place, God worked that out so it is really not your job to quit anyway (LOL). So, get that thought out of your mind. Just preach!
Now, back to the business of rejoicing over what the Lord did through His word and how He used you to deliver it.
This is just one more instance of how the Lord makes it clear to us preachers that He knows exactly what His people need, when they need it and how they need it! Awesome! He knows every single need of every single person and, in his infinite widsom, He knows in advance every single person who will be in attendance to hear at any given time. In additon He also knows the needs of the preacher who will be doing the preaching.
Anyway, as your father twice, I am especially proud and grateful to God that you followed the golden rule, "not my will Lord but Thine." This works every time. It never fails.
I am totally rejoicing over the 15 people who came forward and shared. This is what it is all about. This is what makes it all worth it. This is what pleases God! Shouting is great, good response is great, but what is really great is when people are moved, touched, helped and delivered by and through the preaching of the word. Son, you have heard me tell you many,many times that often those times when I felt I had flunked my worst, God manifested Himself in the most mighty and marvelous way. Many times there was little or no response while the word was being preached but, wow, the response after the preaching was nothing short of miraculous!
God bless you son and keep on "preaching a little."
I am praying in advance for tomorrow night.
Dad

Pastor Lance A. Mann said...

Kraig, I know the Fairview Church very well, although I have never preached there yet. I am getting to know you and having said that, I truly believe that you allowed yourself to be used by the Lord to preach Mark 6.

We all, when we are visiting another congregation, have a desire to do real good and most times we feel that we have not done our best, but it is in our weaknesses that we are able to find some strength. And I truly believe that God showed up through you in such a way that at least 15 people felt convicted to turn some part of their life over to the Lord.

I wish I was there in OKC with you my brother. Fairview is a great church and I am awaiting the next parts of the report. Be blessed.

Lance

Keith D. Witherspoon said...

My friend, I believe that you experienced what Jesus told Paul when he said," My strength is made perfect in yor weakness."

I, like you am coming to discover that God can do more with my availabilty than my ability

Anonymous said...

I thought I felt the earth shake yesterday around 10a.m. . Now I know why....lol..l


Look forward to sharing in worship with you this week.

Tony R.