Monday, September 24, 2007

The Pastor's Need for Encouragement

I think it is safe to say that ministers need a cadre of lay leadership to endorse, support, and encourage their ministry. Pastors and Ministers need men and women in the congregation to be advocates of their programs, ideas, and leadership in general. These persons are those who have no ulterior motives or hidden agendas. But members who naturally hold up the arms of their leader(s), as did Aaron and Hur holding up the weakened arms of Moses, eventually securing their victory against the enemy. In every church (including the one I am blessed to Pastor), there are (according to Guy Greenfield) 1) Clergy Killers, 2) Pathological Antogonists and 3) Passive Lay Leaders. (I'll talk about this another time)

I really don't want to focus on the negative aspects of church life and ministry in this blog; I want to celebrate and shine light on the 'faithful few' who are constant encouragements to the Body of Christ! I thank and praise God for the few that are in my life. My wife has been a constant source of encouragement and support. She is the epitome of what it truly means to be a true servant of God. She is the true personification of the Hesed of God. I honestly know no finer Christian. She continues to be an asset to my life and ministry; not a liability! Other sources of encouragement for me have been my family--my father (one of my best friends and the greatest man I know after Jesus!) and mother (who actually explained to me the plan of salvation in a way that my 6 or 7 year old mind could understand...wow!!!) and my grandparents and brothers and a host of other relatives. And then there are my friends. My friends are a constant, consistent source of encouragement--2 of which are Pastors in other states--they are truly a source of encouragement!

But I thank God that he has given me a few people in our fellowship (Cornerstone) who love, support, and encourage their Pastor. Without them, my hands would be tied in more ways than one. I can think of moments and instances where their words of encouragement have been a source of strength. MAKE NO MISTAKE--these encouragers are not my driving motivation or the entire reason I continue this faith walk and call; they just make the journey a little easier and the load a little lighter (Galatians 6:2). I am learning (LEARNING) that any GOOD pastor will be persecuted, criticized, critiqued, ridiculed, misunderstood, LIED ON, talked about, and mistreated. IF YOU ARE A GOOD PASTOR--that comes with the territory! I am discovering that my adversity isn't always a sign of my inability to lead or 'walk worthy' of the vocation; but my adversity just may the milestones (roadsigns) that I am headed in the right direction (that of faithfulness, integrity, servanthood & God's glory); and the development/shaping of my character.

And it starts with me!!! I want to be an encouragement to Pastors, Spiritual Leaders and Christian Servants. I also desire to be a discipler for laypersons who need both encouragement and to be taught how to encourage their leaders. It starts at home; prayerfully I can teach this principle in our home and church until it becomes contagious and we are known as 'The Encouraging Church'--and that others will then query--'What makes this church so strong, vibrant, empowering, and mature?' I pray that the following answer will flow: we're just doing what Scripture (Christ) teaches us to do--to encourage and love one another!

No comments: