Monday, September 17, 2007

Kingdom Agenda

It is my desire to blog on a regular basis, though my schedule/time would disagree. My goal is to eventually discuss EVERYTHING. More specifically, I want to focus on some of my greatest struggles in an effort to 1. Chronicle my thoughts and sort of develop a method to the madness, so to speak 2. Possibly catch to eye of someone who may, literally, speak life to some situations and mentor me through a blog, or simply express that I am not alone 3. So that I can look back and prayerfully see either progress or regression--prayerfully the former, not the latter. My MAJOR frustration--the thing that truly irks me to no end, is the pastorate. Let me be clear--I LOVE the church that I pastor, I love the people; and I absolutely love the call. My frustration is the PROCESS of getting to the PROMISE, if that makes any sense. I am dealing with traditionalism, busyness, a settled-mindset, etc.--and it has a tendency to eat away at me. Add to this, my greatest frustration is pastoring a new church--where it is difficult to find a large number of people who desire to 'pay their dues', have a mind to work, and will do WHATEVER it takes to get to the promise. There are a small group who possess this mentality and spirit. My fear and prayer is that this small group will not become weary, frustrated, fatigued by the others who do nothing, want nothing, desire nothing more, and then complain that nothing more is happening as a result of their do-nothing spirit.

When I finally get my thoughts together, I will begin to post blogs on my findings with regard to some of the things I am really exploring, namely evangelism, missions, follow-up, volunteer participation, etc. My brother, Pastor Kevin L. Pullam, has written a blog that really bespeaks how I feel. You can visit his blog by going to: http://www.kevinlpullam.blogspot.com/ I will post his blog here...

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Kingdom Building Agenda
Just how easy is it for the church to get sidetracked? I mean, don't most of the parishioners of our congregations have the wrong idea of what we are and are to do? In the midst of a consumer generation, it seems as if there is a greater trend of misdirection and misunderstanding about what the church is and does. Most are now in the mindset to "shop around" for their choice of church and pastor. Therefore, it seems as if the church which most appeals to the sensuality of a person is the church that gains the largest membership. Whatever happened to the premise that the church was a place to serve and not simply be served? We go to church now like it's our favorite restaurant or movie theater. Sometimes the service is good and other times the show gets a thumbs down. Therefore, many church leaders have sought good ratings from the masses rather than a "well done" from the Master. I am challenging the congregation of people where God has blessed me to lead. We must move to another level of commitment to the lost of this world. "Who will go for us" is the subject of tonight's bible study. We do have a charge to keep and a God to glorify. There are people dying and going to hell and this business of the Kingdom is of crucial urgency. I am redirecting my attention away from that of satisfying bench members. The reality is that they will consume the bulk of our time and, if allowed, write the churches "to do list." All while the commitment of this group is slim to none. When the church is in real need and ministry needs to embark, these "pew potatoes" are usually nowhere to be found. We need a ministry that is totally mission minded. I am not satisfied until the Lord is. Therefore, I believe that I have just broken through to the next level of politically incorrectness. Sure, I want to be about the business of edifying saints. Although, the greatest joy for me would be to please God with my efforts to evangelize sinners. Street corners, crack houses and jail cells don't seem all that glorious of a place to the average "saint." However, these are places where the Gospel most needs to be proclaimed. "How can they call on whom they have not believed, how can they believe in whom they have not heard, and how can they hear without a preacher..... Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God." Lord, use me as one of your trumpeters that these in greatest need may hear...

No comments: