Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A New Semester

This week I've been trying to adjust into the rigors of a new semester in seminary. I both love and abhor seminary life. There is absolutely nothing like it - I can not decipher or determine if that is good or bad. Some have re-named it 'semitary'!!! Fortunately, I am in my next to last semester before officially crossing the state in cap and gown. This semester I am taking 14 hours which, for me, is a full load:

Old Testament II (3 hours)
Hebrew Exegetical Method (3 hours)
Baptist Heritage (3 hours)
Systematic Theology I (3 hours)
Spiritual Formation (1)
Applied Ministry - Mentoring (1)

It has often been said that Southwestern Seminary is the 'best seminary in the world'. I think that that statement is a matter of opinion, though it is the largest seminary in the world. The seminary has produced the likes of Joel Gregory, Ralph D. West, E.K. Bailey, Frederick Haynes - to name a few.

I started at Southwestern in the fall of 2001 after graduating from Dallas Baptist. Due to full-time ministry after college, marriage, children, 'pay as you go', starting a new ministry, etc. - it is 7 years later and I am still going. Add to this, Southwestern has a very rigorous program. It is my understanding that many Masters program require 60 or 70 hours, while SWBTS requires 91. Though I could have finished this program in 2004-2005, I am thankful to have attended such a prestigious school. Whether or not I continue my doctoral work there, the experience has impacted my life and ministry. I shall never be the same as a result.

3 comments:

Pastor A. A. McGhee said...

And is producing Kraig Pullam. Keep going, my prayers are with you.

Vietta P's two cents worth said...

My Words exactly. They are producing Kraig Pullam. I am impressed that you will be taking such an impressive load and group of classes. I will continue in prayer for you. The day you cross the stage, our plans are to get the best seat possible. I am also proud that you will be added to a great list of Southwestern alumni which also include your Uncles and Pastors, Lloyd A. Pullam and Monty E. Francis.

Pastor Lance A. Mann said...

Bless you Rev., I am praying that God will keep opening doors for you.

Lance