A long-term theological read; A devotional read for spiritual formation; A reading of pastoral insight for church ministry; and reading for pastoral care and chaplaincy; and a reading for the sharpening of preaching and teaching formation.
At one point, I strove to read one book per week. However, with the present task of serving as a chaplain resident (demanding 48 hours per week); pastoring a fledgling congregation; fulfilling my role as a husband to D'Ani and 2 demanding boys; and a crying infant - one book per week, in addition to sermon prep, rest, reflection, prayer and my regular Bible reading - is almost unrealistic and hyperbole.
Therefore, if I can complete (with reflection and retention) these works, by the end of the year, I will consider myself 'on my A-game':
- Long-Term Theological Read: Systematic Theology by Wayne Grudem
- Devotional Read for Spiritual Formation: Eat This Book by Eugene Peterson & God is in the Small Stuff by Bruce & Stan
- A Reading of Pastoral Insight for Church Ministry: The Church Awakening by Charles R. Swindoll & The Church God Blesses by Jim Cymbala
- Reading for Pastoral Care and Chaplaincy: The Theory and Practice of Group Psychotherapy by Irvin D. Yalom
- Preaching & Teaching: The Preacher and His Preaching by Alfred Gibbs