Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Readings for Last Stretch of 2010

Currently, I make no claims to be in an exclusive, monogomous relationship with any particular book. While the Bible is my spiritual, moral, theological, practical and universal compass - I seek to evade and avoid any comparison with such a sacred text. However, I must admit, I am quite unfaithful when it comes to entering into a one-on-one read with just one piece of literature these days. I am finally adding some rhyme and reason to my reading regimen, with no particular order of importance:

--------

A long-term theological read; A devotional read for spiritual formation; A reading of pastoral insight for church ministry; and reading for pastoral care and chaplaincy; and a reading for the sharpening of preaching and teaching formation.

--------

At one point, I strove to read one book per week. However, with the present task of serving as a chaplain resident (demanding 48 hours per week); pastoring a fledgling congregation; fulfilling my role as a husband to D'Ani and 2 demanding boys; and a crying infant - one book per week, in addition to sermon prep, rest, reflection, prayer and my regular Bible reading - is almost unrealistic and hyperbole.



Therefore, if I can complete (with reflection and retention) these works, by the end of the year, I will consider myself 'on my A-game':


  • Long-Term Theological Read: Systematic Theology by Wayne Grudem

  • Devotional Read for Spiritual Formation: Eat This Book by Eugene Peterson & God is in the Small Stuff by Bruce & Stan

  • A Reading of Pastoral Insight for Church Ministry: The Church Awakening by Charles R. Swindoll & The Church God Blesses by Jim Cymbala

  • Reading for Pastoral Care and Chaplaincy: The Theory and Practice of Group Psychotherapy by Irvin D. Yalom

  • Preaching & Teaching: The Preacher and His Preaching by Alfred Gibbs

2 comments:

PastorGaddis' Blog said...

Pastor, thank you so much for stopping by the spot and sharing your heart and words of encouragment. Know that you have invested and sown a seed that you will reap. Continue to pray for us and watch what God is going to do! Blessing on you, yours and the ministry! Gad

Anonymous said...

It was refreshing to come by and read your recent thoughts on your blog page. I haven't blogged in a very long time and I miss it. I gleaned so much from each of the Pastor's that I associated with via blog. I plan to be around more often in months to come.

I have always had a problem finishing a book. I have so many that I've started and I get to the last few chapters and stop. I do have my favorite subjects that tend to hold my attention. I have some books I've read more than once. I will make "execution" of anything I start, that's worthy of finishing, my 2011 resolution.

Thanks for your time & attention. Looking forward to seeing you, Dee & the Rugrats real soon.

I love you with my "Whole" heart,

Momma ~vLf-p~