Monday, August 18, 2008

Lovingly Serving God's People

Unable to sleep in my hotel room, I have found myself reflecting upon the awesome privilege that the Lord has allowed me to be a partaker of. Some have noted that it is the greatest job on the planet. Of course, others have labeled it the most difficult. At any rate, I love it! It is Pastoral Leadership! We are called to sheppard God's sheep. In serving in the role of the pastorate for over 8 years now, I have grown to understand what some of the older Pastors would always seek to convey. Growing up in the home of a Pastor and wife, being a 5th generation preacher/pastor, and a family full of preachers - I would always hear something that the older preaching men would always say and I never gave much thought...'Son/young man/Kraig...we must LOVE the people'.

Admittedly...I DID NOT understand. Kind of always the same sentiment in my head, 'okay...do you have to keep saying this' or '...I already know this...we're supposed to love everyone, blah, blah'.

Little did I know that the Lord used those great men to facilitate powerful lessons of inspiration and insight that I would need during my times of testing and preparation.

Since then, I have discovered that those words are probably the third STRONGEST phrases ("love the people") for the Christian preacher. Let me just give my own synopsis:

Most important phrase for the Christian preacher/pastor: JESUS SAVES!
Second most important phrase for the Christian preacher/pastor: PREACH THE WORD!
Third.....: LOVE THE PEOPLE!

I consider myself to be an aspiring theologian, though I know I am not there. However, the Lord has taught me - people don't care how much I know, until they know how much I care.

In sitting here at this desk and in writing, I have discovered that one of the greatest gifts that the Lord gives a preacher/pastor is....A PASTOR'S HEART!

I love God's people! I really do. I don't know that I could have always said that. They are SO precious in God's sight. I didn't understand the words, 'Love the people' THEN...but after being talked about, criticized, ostracized, the center of gossip and slander; being misunderstood, etc. - on a daily basis...I must remind myself that THOSE SHEEP ARE GOD'S PEOPLE; and that as I am the Lord's sheep...he has called ME, of all people, to lead HIS sheep into pleasant pastures. What an AWESOME assignment. I am just in awe...as was Paul in First Timothy chapter 1....WOW...He called ME!!!! God's Grace is SO amazing.

Thank You Lord for giving us a love for your precious people.

6 comments:

Pastor A. A. McGhee said...

Bro. Pastor,

I will give you pastors according to My heart......Jeremiah 3:15.

Thank God for allowing you to be a channel of His love. Be encourage as you lovingly serve the people God has entrusted you.

I thoroughly enjoy reading your posts and am honored to call you "brother."

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the true voice of a sheppard.

Great post Kraig.


Tony R.

Pastor Lance A. Mann said...

Kraig, you are a great soul with a great heart and a wonderful heart for ministry and the people of God. The Cornerstone Church is a blessed church to have Kraig Pullam as their Pastor, and if they don't feel that way, tell them to call me! (LOL)

Lance

Avery Minor II said...

Your love for Christ and dedication to lead His people is inspiring and encouraging!

Keith D. Witherspoon said...

Once again, I have been inspired by your blog. Jesus did say," By this shall all men know that you are my disciples if you have love one for the other."

I believe that you continually demonstrate the quintessential qualities that it takes to be a shephard! Bless God for your ministry!!

Pastor Kevin Lanier Pullam said...

Great expressions from the wells of a genuine heart. It is no doubt that this is what will continually set you apart from many others. May God continue to expand your territory and borders.

Kevin