Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Fairview, 3

Just wanted to write a quick note and thank all of the persons who sent in your comments on 'Fairview, Part 2' blog. Your words of wisdom and insight really helped me tonight. Tonight the Lord led me to share a story out of Mark chapter 5 regarding the incident where Jesus has a 'chance' encounter with a synagogue leader by the name of Jairus. Many of you are familiar with the story; my focus revolved around the area of listening to the testimony of another; and listening to the Lord's working our similar circumstances. Jairus had a twelve year old daughter; but the interesting thing about the entire story - is that when Jesus heals the anonymous woman who had a 12 year old problem, Jesus interrupts his journey with Jairus to search for this woman and gives her the opportunity to share her story. My entire theme revolved around the fact that - Jesus does not stop for the woman; interestingly, Jesus stops for Jairus!

There are very valuable nuggets tucked away in that familiar story. The 3 words or points I sought to press and illustrate were:
I. Chance: Jesus uses our listening as an opportunity to transform chance into belief. (v22-34)
II. Choice: Jessus gives you the option; but he needs you to make the right choice. (v35-39)
III. Charge: Jesus gives you the opportunity to listen that you will ultimately take charge. (v40)

I used my notes loosely tonight. Most of the message I committed to memory.

Tomorrow night I think I am headed in the direction of John chapter 11 that involves the story of Lazarus.

I am praying and striving tomorrow that I will have enough confidence and boldness and clarity to leave my manuscript in the room or alteast with my wife. Please pray for me.

This is a personal goal for me; and I think it will ultimataly work best for me. Let's just say that tonight at Fairview, I could see the progression if no one else did. Interestingly - D'Ani noticed!!!

4 comments:

Keith D. Witherspoon said...

Great Post!! I am glad that everything is going well for you. Tell Dr. Reed that I said Hello!!

Pastor Lance A. Mann said...

Yes sir doctor. Wonderful outline and exposition of Mark 5. I am sure that the Fairview Church is being blessed by your faithfulness to the Gospel.

Lance

Pastor W.L. Pullam said...

Praise the Lord. Looks and sounds like the Lord blessed in a mighty way. Continue to "let go and let God." I will be lifting you in prayer as you close it out. I've got a feeling that God is going to use you in an unusually powerful way on tonight. Look forward to getting the praise report.

Pastor Kevin Lanier Pullam said...

Pastor Pullam,it is great to know that the Lord is using you in such a way. Thank God for your ministry.

Kevin