Sunday, August 19, 2012

Sunday in Retrospect

Well...the Lord blessed us this day in worship at the Mt. Salem Church.  Yesterday, Dee, the boys and I were able to attend Victoria East High School's 'Unleash the Beast.'. I had some theological reservations regarding the name, but I didn't let that stop from supporting our students.  While we have students from our congregation that are at West and East, most of our students this year attend the East.  Three of our girls (all of which are also a part of our Praise Dance ministry that D'Ani leads) are apart of the cheerleading squad.  Hey were excited to have us there.  That made me happy, in knowing they were!

Today I enjoyed doing Sunday School review.  Unfortunately, I went over my time.  But the content, regarding the shepherd and flock, God's rendering of justice on wicked shepherds, and the promise of sending shepherds after His own heart....was worth it!

I continued my study through the Beatitudes, picking up with the 7th Beatitude...which deals with peace.  Admittedly, I stumbled on the Title of the sermon, not coming up with a clever title.  So....I picked a title I'd heard used for this beatitude: Can We All Just Get Along.  I now think I should have gone with a more basic title, such as: Blessed Peace or Happy Are the Peacemakers.  But, you live and you learn!  Overall, God has blessed us in the study and delivery of these important commands given from our Lord.

Here is the sermon skeleton:

Can We All Just Get Along?
Matthew 5:9

THE POSSESSION OF PEACE

Peaceful Deeds.

Peaceful Words.

THE PROMOTION OF PEACE

Domestic Peacemaking.  This is the one who brings peace between persons.

Divine Peacemaking.   This is the one who brings peace between mankind and God.

THE PROMISE OF PEACE

Today we had two people come by Christian Experience.  We were glad to have them.  Moreover, it has been wonderful to see God show His continuing faithfulness to our congregation.  Our church has been through quite a bit; and to see how God has restored and continues to expand the vision and grow His church, is breathtaking.

Our family ate today at a place called Gringo's in the Houston area.  I have been on a Mexican food kick.  Unfortunately, my eating capacity is apparently getting less and less.  Recently, I've noticed i have been unable to finish my meals.  So, basically, I was done after the appetizer. Maybe this will help with my diet! :-/.

My Cowboys lost their 2nd preseason game.  Dwight Howard is officially signed to LA.  I'm planning to continue on to Beatitude 8 next week, with tentative plans to continue the sermon on the Mount.

2 comments:

Vietta P's two cents worth said...

THREE POINTS, to this message without the introduction and conclusion.

1. Mexican is the worst diet there is, (nearly ALL carbs) for diabetical folks. BUT, I can't scold because I don't think I can live without my Mexican food (in moderation).

2. Since you were an infant, your eating capacity has never been as large as you keep insisting.

3. In MY opinion "Can we all just get Along" was the perfect title for Matthew 5:9.

Pastor Kraig L. Pullam said...

Just now seeing your comments. I hunk your points are right...on point!