Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Be An Original...well, An Original Copy! (Part 2)

As I listened to Jasper Williams, I couldn't believe the energy, style and intonation given in one single sermon.  This one preacher made me feel as if I wanted to be sitting there in the very building in which he preached.  His style was boiled down to an actual science, an actual art form, if you will.  As I listened, I felt as if I were in church, though in my room in our home on Trojan Drive.  I said to myself, "I can't do that!". This, however, did not diminish my love and appreciation for his style. Interestingly, Jasper was an exception to what I would hear later in my adult years to many who tried to emulate him - he had style AND substance!  Until maybe a few years ago, I could probably quote verbatim Jasper Williams' sermon 'Who's the Greatest'.  Unfortunately (or fortunately) my Dad had no other copies of his messages that I could find. But I did come across messages on old wax records of W. Leo Daniels and C. L. Franklin. Apparently, I would conclude Jasper Williams had been cut from these guys' proverbial ecclesiastical cloth.  



So, it goes without saying...that when I began to sense a strong sense of calling at 14, I was frightened because of my human limitations.  Somehow, I equated preaching greatness (amid so many others) to that of Jasper Williams. While the others were good and great, somehow his charisma shined through stronger than all of the others. But as I began to pray, have private meetings with my father, his reading assignments, our praying together...I somehow happened upon a manuscript and tape of a Chicago preacher, Dr. L. K. Curry.  It was a recording of him preaching at a Minister's Conference in Dallas at Bishop College, a message entitled, "The Blessing of Human Inadequacy.". This one sermon actually changed my life.  It became the catalyst that would push me over my human reservations for not obeying the call.  Curry stated that it is the very mundane, human deficiencies within us, that attract a surrender which inevitably causes a dependence and reliance on the sovereign ability of God.  I never forgot that. At that point, I became serious, knowing that at least God could call someone like me, amid my obvious deficiencies.  



In the midst of all of this, I found myself heavily reading MLK Jr's messages, speeches, lectures and writings.  During this time, A. Louis Patterson became a stronger influence on my development, prior to announcing my call.  I would write out many of the phrases and words of Patterson, and commit them to memory.  I also found myself waking up earlier on Sunday mornings to hear a Pentecostal preacher, Gilbert Earl Patterson, come on at 7:30am.  I remember always wondering if these two Patterson men were related, in some way.  After about a year of private meetings with my father, in December of 1993, I would publicly acknowledge my call into Christian Preaching ministry.  I was 15, and a Freshman at Richard King High School.  One of the things my private conversations, meetings and prayers with my father did....it solidified my call.  When I stepped forward to acknowledge my call, I had no single doubt, then or even now, I had been called by God to preach His Word.  I clarified that this was not a human call.  My mother, father, family, the church nor anyone else was responsible for this heavenly call.  I am eternally grateful to both my heavenly and earthly father for earnestly settling that for me, without my knowledge, at that time.  Interestingly, I already had several sermons under my belt by the time I professed my call publicly.  Admittedly, the best seemed to be a sermon I had re-crafted, re-structured and studied, making my own, out of a message I had heard preached out of Philippians 2:12-16. I would then study this particular passage left and right, backwards and forwards, in and out....for the next several months.  One of the books my father gave me to read was Al Fasol's 'Steps to the Sermon.'.  To this day, this is probably the most valuable book I have in my library, after the Bible.  This is a book I use now, not only in reading every year, but also in a graphic form to clarify my sermon structure and direction.  Last year, a dear colleague of mine who is good friends with Fasol, took this book that my father gave me after graduating college, and had Fasol sign my book with encouraging words.  That made my year!!!  


I preached my 'Trial Sermon' on March 27, 1994.  The day before, I preached this message to an empty sanctuary, with my Dad sitting in the middle of the church.  Almost 20 years later, after preaching in various settings to hundreds and thousands in churches, hospitals and colleges across the states and I'm Africa, I can honestly say that that moment was the most frightening!  As I preached to my father, he actually said nothing.  He had no expression, anything.  I've never asked him, but I think that was intentional, I letting me know that the message goes beyond him to One sitting in the audience Who is far more significant, and Who's approval is most meaningful. That night was the beginning of a continuing quest for discovering who I was in the vast sea of many ecclesiastical preaching whales....(to be continued)

1 comment:

Pastor W.L. Pullam said...

This is an awesome and inspirational post. It is amazing how graphic and precise your recollection of these events in your life and minsitry are. Truly God has blessed you exceeding abundantly. I am granteful and humbled that God saw fit to use me in some small way to help shape the wonderful ministry that you have now. I encourage you to continue to let God lead,guide and direct you in all that you do. And, yes, he is the utlimate audience attendee and the one who really matters :). I love you son and continue to take great pride and have a grateful heart about how God is using you.