Sunday, August 12, 2012

Sunday in Retrospect

Today was another great day in the life of the Mt. Salem church family.  After being out the previous week, I found myself doing catch in sermonic preparation.  Our association (American Baptist Western District Association) met this past week, Monday through Thirsday.  Somehow, I convinced myself I could get up early in Corpus Christi, on the last day of association, drive to San Antonio with our youth department, spend a few hours with them and my family at Fiesta Texas Six Flags, get back on the road and be at Moderator's night in Corpus... Well, I did it!  But I feel it now...  Nonetheless, I was able to continue my series in the Beatitudes. 

Title: It's Time for a Heart Check
Matthew 5:8

I. THE POSITION OF THE PURE IN HEART

A. The Illustration of the Heart.

B. The Examination of Purity

II. THE PRACTICE OF THE PURE IN HEART

A. Three ways to work on having a pure heart. 

1. Remember that God is watching your heart. 
2. REVIEW the movies of your heart. 

- In Mt. 6:2-3 he says we can GIVE WITH THE WRONG MOTIVES.
- In Mt. 6:5-6- Jesus says you can PRAY WITH THE WRONG MOTIVES.
- Then Jesus says in Mt. 6:16-18 you can even FAST WITH THE WRONG MOTIVES.

3. Realign the priorities of your heart. 
- Look at your activities.
- Look at your anxieties. 
- Look at your ambitions. 

III. THE PROMISE OF THE PURE IN HEART

God blessed the message today.  One came to rededicate her life.  Three others came forward to join the fellowship.  

I am looking forward to continueing our study in Matthew 5:9, next week.  

1 comment:

Pastor W.L. Pullam said...

Well said my brother, well said. I am glad to see that you have made your rentry into the blogging world. I am helped and inspired by you posts. "Press on" my brother.