Sunday, October 26, 2008

Sunday, October 26, 2008

We had an awesome time in our Worship Gathering on the last Lord's Day of this month. I am really enjoying our series, 'No More Church As Usual', and yesterday we continued with our third message in this series. I am at a crossroads in our ministry - I see how, in many ways and through many of our people, the Lord is actually demonstrating His intentions and the progressive possibilities within our church; but then there are some persons (or shall I say spirits) in our church that, for whatever reason, refuse to let go of the past, or the people who have moved on - and even in my spirit it is difficult for us to forge ahead. I am praying for them. Apparently they care for and love our church, but the negative, cantankerous spirit is hard for not only a new church, buy ANY church seeking to exalt and centralize Christ in every facet. Nevertheless - WORSHIP at the Stone was 'off the chain'; and the Lord tremendously used the message from Acts 2.

The highlight of my day (though already on a high) came after leaving our service during Sunday School and going to visit my home church in the city, Pleasant Hill. I got word that my old mentor and friend, Dr. Cleophus LaRue, was in town and would be preaching. LaRue is Princeton Theological Seminary’s Francis Landey Patton Associate Professor of Homiletics. He has also writted some great works, including the 'Heart of Black Preaching' and 'Preaching in the Pulpit' that features H.B. Charles and Ralph West, two of my favorites. Dr. LaRue is also from Corpus Christi, grew up with my parents in the same church and school, and just a great friend of our family.

Dr. LaRue preached a message out of Mark 14 entitled, 'Three Kinds of Trouble.' Awesome message!!!

After service I had a chance to fellowship and commune with LaRue and my Pastor for a few hours, which, of course, was another treat. Just to sit with these men, talk about theology, politics, the coming election and changes taking place, and everything else - was certainly rich and refreshing.

6 comments:

Pastor A. A. McGhee said...

Pastor Kraig,

First, I thank God you had a great day on Sunday and that the worship and preaching were "off the chain."

Secondly, I adore your transparency when it comes to shepherding God's people. Truly you are a man after God's on heart and my prayer is that He give you the desires of your heart.

Lastly, Stay encouraged! God has His hands on you and what's to come is better than what's been.

Until next time my brother, Stay Strong.

Pastor Lance A. Mann said...

Kraig, first of all I am pleased as punch that your time in the Word went well on yesterday. Be encouraged, I have discovered that each and every one of us are going through the same plight of people holding on to yesterday. Stay the course and whatever you do, keep preaching just like you are, and watch God be God and bless your ministry.

Cleo LaRue is one of the greatest minds of the Christian Church. You certainly were blessed yesterday.

Lance

Keith D. Witherspoon said...

I am glad that you had a great day.

In spite of difficult people, God has a way of reminding us that He is still in control.

Keep up the good work!

Pastor Kevin Lanier Pullam said...

Wow Kraig, this is an awesome praise report. It seems like EVERYTHING is going just the way it should. Even the "difficult people" part... Yes, God knows exactly what He's doing. It's these "juxtaposition" in personalities (the irritating people vs. the edifying preachers) that affords us the contrast to keep our lives and minsitry well-balanced. Only God can place us in the position where we are irritated AT times with people, and yet be edified IN times by the preacher. Hope you know what I mean. Keep on doing what you're doing. If you DIDN'T have these kind of "issues" with SOME people, then I would be alarmed. Plus, I am learning that the vocality of the GOAT will always be more resounding than that of the sheep. Point is, sometimes the minority report of the negative can appear to be insurmountable. However, they ARE the minority. They just SPEAK UP more. No need to worry or fret. "The gates of hell shall not prevail..." Acts 2 is a wonderful place to be at this time.

Love You,
Kevin

Fitts said...

Great post my bro, I am praying with you my friend.

Glad to hear about the wonderful time you had!!

Rev.Aaron Holcombe said...

So glad to hear about the great time you have had in the Lord! Be encouraged my brother, one day soon it will all be worth it!! He is coming again!