Thursday, April 17, 2008

Loyalty

It seems that we live in a culture predominantly disloyal. At the first sign of trouble, challenge, or testing--we are apt to abandon our relationships, friendships, churches, groups, families, beliefs, and our ultimate faith in God.

Plato originally said that only a man who is just can be loyal, and that loyalty is a condition of genuine philosophy. The philosopher Josiah Royce said it was the supreme moral good, and that one's devotion to an object mattered more than the merits of the object itself. Jesus said, "No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other." (Matthew 6:24 NIV) Attempting to serve two masters leads to "double-mindedness" (James 4:8), undermining loyalty to a cause.

I remember a time when marriage was for a lifetime; people didn't leave their church simply because they needed a "vacation" or somebody said something that they didn't like; or people were best friends 50 or 60 years. It is terrible and tragic that we've become so enamored and stuck on ourselves that longevity, stick-to-it-ness, and perseverance rarely crosses our minds here in this 21st century.

Strangely--the Italian Mafia gets it. The 'gangsters' get it. Even some unsaved people groups and societies get it. Unfortunately, it disturbs me that a vast majority of the people group who matters most (Christians) don't seem to get it, loyalty that is. If we do, I think it needs to manifest through our actions.

This is why I treasure those persons who, despite the inclement weather and hardships--are still LOYAL and true.

4 comments:

Pastor Lance A. Mann said...

Kraig,

Awesome post bro. You have expressed what I dealt with in my bible study class last night, we have seemingly lost our commitment to the Lord, his church and our calling. Bless you man.

Lance

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ed Johnson III said...

What's Kraig? Glad to see that things are going well with you and the family.

I just wanted to let you that I read your blog to keep up with you. I also wanted to share that I have a blog up now - ejthree.blogspot.com. I am new at this blogging thing, so it might take me a minute to get in the groove.

Talk to you later.

Ed

Pastor Kraig L. Pullam said...

My prayer for all Christian believers (specifically Pastors and Christian Leaders) is that the Lord will bless them to be surrounded, in some fashion, with a few people who are loyal to Christ and His Church and their calling.