Friday, April 18, 2008

Leadership Prowess, Part One (1)

I have 2 questions.

Question #1: Are empty churches on Sundays and Mid-weeks a result of poor leadership??? This is a question I have asked myself from time to time--though I know the answer.

It seems to me--that many parishioners are apt to conclude that the leader is to blame for the progress in any given church, OR the lack thereof.

I don't have any long, drawn out dissertation or scriptures--it is just a thought. If I only get a response from one, then it will help me to gain some additional insight.

Just off of the cuff, let me give a few facts I believe involve good leadership--by this I mean Good Pastoral Leadership:
1. Preaching and Teaching the WORD of God withough compromise (through expositional preaching)
2. Visionary Leadership
3. Being able to clearly communicate and outline the vision and mission of Christ and His church.
4. Being able to select, train, and grow leaders into committed disciples of Jesus Christ.
5. Having a business mind-set that is able to adjust through adversity, survive difficult seasons of change, and to continue the course.
6. A life saturated in prayer and private devotion.
7. Being the emdodiment of Servant Leadership.

Question #2: What if a Pastor does all of the above things (not perfectly, but improving each and every day and week in those 7 areas), and there is no numeric growth--does that make this leader a poor or weak leader?

Here is what we must understand--there ARE some poor leaders. There are pastors who aren't diligent in their study of God's Word, they have no vision (not one member can even quote the mission statement of their church) or any course or plan of action for growth or their future; there are pastors who are not in any process of selecting or training their leaders; who don't have any kind of organizational or business mind-set; and who spend very little time in prayer and private devotion; and sadly, there are Pastoral leaders who just aren't servant leaders.

HOWEVER--I run into far too many Pastors who embody those 7 characteristics (and more) who don't pastor mega-churches; and who have never written a book or have a website with their name or picture on it. Does that make them (or us) failures? Certainly not!!!

I have studied MANY churches and pastors; and here is my feeble conclusion. I say feeble; but I believe this with all of my heart through all of my study, reading and over 10 years studying almost EVERY mega-church in the US of A.

Here is the very thing that makes the difference: FOLLOWSHIP!!!!

Nothing more; nothing less. I have studied extensively the 100 largest churches in the past 5 years for my personal Pastoral growth; visited their websites, studied their history; and looked at their leadership paradigm. Without exception--that church's growth was contingent upon a group of people who SERVED!!! AND FOLLOWED!!! I am afraid that that is what is missing in far too many empty churches.

Mind you--I am NOT suggesting that every church needs to be a mega-church. NO!!! I am also not suggesting that there is anything wrong with a small church, if there is such a thing. What I am suggesting is that there should be no church building (large or small) that is predominantly empty (Mind you--the church where I pastor is predominantly empty so this is not a put down; I just believe it may start out that way; but it SHOULD NOT be our desire for it to STAY that way). It is clear when reading the parable that is centered around Luke 14:23 that Christ wants His church full. (Now this is only my interpretation of the parable)

I do wish I were able to give all Pastors who are frustrated with not seeing the vision and mission that God has given them come to fruition--if I could give them 5 people who were as passionate about seeing the mission and vision for their churches come forth as much as that pastor is. They were at every service, bible study, leadership training, Sunday school, leading and serving AND giving. I would then be able to GUARANTEE that within a year--IF those 5 people didn't stop, waver--the pastor of that church would see amazing progress within 6 to 12 months--even if that pastor is not operating 100% on those 7 principles listed above.

My conclusion: Empty churches are typically not AS MUCH of a reflection upon the LEADERSHIP as it is the FOLLOWSHIP. I will continue this thought at a later time and title this blog as part 1. I would love to hear the responses of those who read.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pastor, I ditto what you've said. you are a great leader. the people around any kingdom endeavor have to have a mind to work.

Unknown said...

Pastor Kraig, patience is demanded for our vocation. I don't mean to minimize your angst about the lack of followship, because believe me I struggle with it to, but we must remember our best efforts are not a garunteed end to the results that we desire. If the Lord chooses to breath upon our efforts to Him be all the glory. But the record seems to indicate that He blesses those who are faithful to the calling inspite of what they do not see happening (Hebrews 11).

What if with all the work you have put into your church in what you think is adequate preperation, the Lord flooded your church to overflowing capacity next Sunday,how would you feel,would all the frustrations disappear?

My feeble suggestion,continue to be faitful to the Lord in preparing for a great harvest and remember ours is a marathon not a sprint.

Preach the Word
2 Tim. 4:2-5

Pastor Kraig L. Pullam said...

Pastor Rhone, I constantly need to hear these words! Thank you for this. May you also continue to endure and persevere. Thank You my brother!

Ed Johnson III said...

I would have to agree with both the comments that were given. I will say, Kraig, that looking at numbers or attendance can be very discouraging if that is all that we are focusing on.

I am not saying that looking at numbers is wrong. I just believe that it should not drive all that we do, neither should we base our success or value on them.

Now, believe me, I know that is easier said than done.

What should capture our attention though is making sure that we bring quality preaching/teaching and leadership to the people that God has called us to serve. Focus on evangelism and helping people to grow in their relationship with Jesus.

For what it's worth, when your numbers are small, look for what God desires to teach and/or develop in you and the people.

Remember Gideon. Sometimes God desires to break us from pride, and depending on our own strength (or leadership prowess)for success, and to show us His power.

Anonymous said...

I "constantly" hear between the lines of your blog that you are burdened with the slow growth and lack of advancement in attendance and committment of the people there. If I were a member at Cornerstone and sensed your overall opinion of us and your frustrations, it would be discouraging to ME as I did my part to be a faithful servant there. I do read occasional compliments but not as much as the complaints. All of the church's business doesn't have to be on display. You are a GREAT preacher and a beautiful human being, just preach, teach, pray, and trust God to do the rest. Believe me the members know their Pastor well and most are willing to follow.

Pastor Kraig L. Pullam said...

It is not my hope or prayer that others (most importantly--those who follow me as I follow Christ) would discourage others in their followship at the church the Lord has blessed me to Pastor. I am not at all discouraged by slow growth. Slow growth is 'sure' growth--so it is often said. My constant concern (admittedly) is when there is little change in commitment. You are certainly right, however--this can discourage the ones who are faithful, always present, and always serving. Thanks! I am growing and learning through reading every line of wisdom and insight.

Anonymous said...

I agree with what arhone has contributed. After what you think is adequate preparation and the Lord flooded your church to overflowing capacity, would you be satisfied? Would your frustrations disappear? Just continue to prepare for a great harvest. Don't let your frustrations dominate you. As you said slow growth is sure growth. With sure growth followship is bound to happen.

Anonymous said...

I believe that Pastor Pullam is a servant after God's own heart. I am proud of the fact that he is concerned about the followship of the people of God and he is determined to lead as God sees fit. After much teaching and preaching (and his own growth)he will see the fruits of his labor. Being bold, standing in the face of pitfalls and denouncing things not of God and the things that are not biblicly based. Some things that we might embrace may not be exceptable to all. So they tend to go where they are comfortable and become greater followers. That's why all things has to be of God. Continue to seek and prepare for a great harvest.

vlpSongbird