Sunday, May 19, 2013

Sunday in Retrospect

It's been a good day!  It's been a great Lord's Day!  No doubt, Sunday is my favorite day of the week.  I suppose it's always been.  Growing up as a 'church kid', I am one of the dying breed of generational Baptists who remembers going to church 'all day' on Sunday.  Yet still, it's my favorite day.

I've been in a series the past couple of weeks entitled, 'God's Got An Answer.'  I confess my idea was sparked from the late Dr. Stephen F. Olford's Biblical Answers to Personal Problems.  Last time (prior to Mother's Day) I used a passage out of 2 Corinthians 12:7-11 and titled the message, 'God's Answer for Your Suffering.'

I used as an outline:
I. Accept the Reality of our Suffering
II. Recall the Necessity of our Suffering
III.  Remember the Sublimity of our Suffering
IV. Rejoice in the Victory our Suffering

Today I continued in Genesis 13:1-17, titling the message, 'God's Answer for Letting Go.'

I. Take inventory of what you have, verses 1-7
II. Choose the high road, vs. 8
III. Address the issue, vs. 9
IV. Be clear on the meaning of victory, verses 10-18

It was a busy week with traveling to Lafayette for one of our college graduates, cutting in on my study time.  I wasn't pleased with my preparation when standing today.  Admittedly, I took what I call my 'rough draft' to the pulpit.  When I prepare my sermons, I go through each sentence (speaking aloud, writing and rewriting each sentence) and interjecting stories, illustrations, anecdotes, quotes, etc.  Unfortunately, none of this was done by the time I stood this morning.

However, God is faithful.  I thank God for the six people who came forward today, two who came by Christian Experience.

It is true - God uses us in times and moments we may least expect; and in ways we fail to anticipate.  All in all....I'm thankful!

Now....time to prepare for next week!

No comments: