Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Sunday in Retrospect

This past Lord's Day was awesome, outstanding and phenomenal!  Let me tell it, our times as Pastor and people grow each week.  Mind you, I am not a Pastor who says every Sunday was, 'Bananas'.  But I will say that this past Sunday was exceptional.  God has given me a vision of a church that is able to worship multi-generationally.  That is to say, being a congregation who meets equally the needs of four generations.  In fact, I plan to begin teaching on 'One Church, Four Generations' in a few weeks.  This is quite a challenge for a 141-Year old congregation.  Naturally, we have quite a bit of history; and can unknowingly be adamant about remaining the way we've been for so long.  I saw this 'growing pain' very clearly during our mid-year church meeting.  Often as Pastor, I can be challenged (sometimes by God and, at times, by the enemy using the reality of it all) to assess I am not nearly as far along as I thought we were.  Our recent meeting was no exception.  We've made quite a bit of progress; but I walked away a little discouraged, when hearing the way it once was, etc.  But....I maintain we are on the right track.  The church is continuing to grow numerically, financially and spiritually.  

This past Sunday, after an exciting youth trip, we added back our Deacon's devotion.  We stopped for a short while, when our Praise Team (A.L. Randon Ensemble) was added.  I made the decision before our meeting for us to add back Deacon's devotion, believing it would serve 1) to continue to uphold that deep tradition and 2) to expand the vision to minister to our 4  generations.  It went great!

I am most excited about the growth and excitement of our young people.  They have been quite receptive to our ministry there.  I continued our study in First Peter.  

Here's my sermon outline...


Sermon Title: Thank God I’m Saved
Scripture: 1 Peter 1:3-5
The Big Idea: The temporary challenges of life can be endured in light of the eternal salvation of God.

I. IN THE MIDST OF LIFE’S DILEMMAS, WE CAN THANK GOD FOR THE AUTHOR OF OUR SALVATION

a. God’s rejection of Sin (Context)
b. God’s connection to the Savior (v. 3a)
c. God’s action toward the Saved (v. 3b)
         i. Mercy (Loving-kindness)
         ii. New Birth (Regeneration)

II. IN THE MIDST OF LIFE’S DILEMMAS, WE CAN THANK GOD FOR THE NATURE OF OUR SALVATION
a. We have a ‘Living Hope’
b. We have a ‘Glorious Inheritance’
         i. Our inheritance is incorruptible – ‘…that can never perish'
         ii. Our inheritance is undefiled – ‘…nor spoil’
         iii. Our inheritance is unfading – ‘…or fade’

III. IN THE MIDST OF LIFE’S DILEMMAS, WE CAN THANK GOD FOR THE SECURITY OF OUR SALVATION (vv. 4b-5)
a. Our inheritance is protected “…kept in heaven for you.”
b. We are preserved “…guarded.”
         i. We are guarded by God’s power
         ii. We are guarded through our faith
         iii. We are guarded until Jesus returns

Thankful for the response to the message; and those who made decisions and came forward.  Looking forward to continuing First Peter next week, if the Lord says the same.!

1 comment:

Pastor W.L. Pullam said...

God bless your brother pastor. Very well said and, as a fellow pastor, I can totally relate to where you are coming from. It is a constant challenge to serve and meet the multiple needs of several generations in the same congregation on any given Sunday. You are defintely approaching it the right way. God will continue to lead and direct you as you seek Him. Be encouraged,God is not through with you yet.