Monday, June 10, 2013

Dr. P.S. Wilkinson, Sr.

For years, I have heard about the preaching legend and legacy of Dr. Paschal (P.S.) Wilkinson, Sr.  Born on December 8, 1905, he went Upstairs on December 3, 1977, just five days shy of his 73rd birthday.  He was 72!  Growing up, I was often told he was one of the greatest pulpiteers of his generation; from pulpit acumen to preaching prowess, he was said to be in a class all his own.  

Beginning his preaching ministry at the age of 14, he is best known for his role as the Senior Pastor of New Light Baptist Church (San Antonio, Tx) for almost 45 years.  He also served for many years as the President of the American Baptist State Convention and apart of the Educational Board of the National Baptist Convention.  

For some years now, I have been trying to get a hold of a copy of the one book he had written, 'Pilate's Judgment Hall.'  This book is a collection of the sermons and messages preached from the pulpit of New Light.  Interestingly, when I was a teenage preacher, I had the opportunity to hear a tape of an older P.S. Wilkinson preaching.  Needless to say, it left an impression.  Considering myself a student of preaching and preachers, I have coveted the idea of attaining a copy of his book.  While I am certain a few preachers have a copy, I only personally knew of two - My father, and the late Rev. R. L. Sanders, who pastored for years the Mt. Gilead Church in Forth Worth, Texas.  

After about 10 years of searching, I happened to come across a copy of Wilkinson's book.  While the book was written in 1948, many of the pages missing, I have found a richness and depth to his preaching that is peerless and impressionable.  While I am, by far, no Pashcal Wilkinson, Sr., the single book has renewed my commitment to writing and written communication.  What I would give to have more of such a great preaching legend.  I am convinced that, as I struggle to refresh my mind with new, meaningful, and varying insights from God's Word and others, that each and every servant of God would build a legacy that is unique to their own calling.  I hope to share excerpts in the future of this great preaching legend.  It has blessed me tremendously.

3 comments:

Pastor W.L. Pullam said...

God bless you son. Thank you for sharing these great thoughts. Truly, Dr. Wilkinson was a giant of a preacher and I was so, so blessed to have seen and experienced this greatness on many ocassions. Such awesome power and sincerity. Oh how I wish he and others like him had written more. My father, Lloyd Alvin Pullam, who is now 85 years old gave me this book many, many, years ago. He found it at a Brandis book sale at the mall and bought it and gave it to me. What an awesome treasure in every sense of the word. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and I ecnourage you to keep writing, keep sharing and, of course, keep preaching :).

Unknown said...

Pastor Kraig L Pullam, I thank you for your respect, and admiration of my grandfather. Most of his papers unfortunately been lost. A lot of his material I can remember such as illustration, and sermons that had an impact on my life. The Pullam, and Wilkinson families have been friends down through the years, and I have read some of your publication on line. We will continue to keep you and your ministry lifted up before the LORD.

Pastor Kraig L. Pullam said...

Wow....what an honor to read your responses. Thanks for your input, insights and reflections. It means more than you may ever know on this side!