Monday, May 25, 2009

John & Joel



I am presently in the process of reading Richard Young's 'The Rise of Lakewood Church and Joel Osteen'. The book itself is well put together but pales in comparison to most biographies in terms of language, content and detail. I should say that I am not Joel Osteen's number one fan; but I must admit that I am no ally or harsh critic. This is largely due to the fact that his father, the late John Osteen, continues to be one of my favorite preachers of all time. I have a small collection of messages and writings from John Osteen that have blessed my life and ministry. Therefore, most of Richard Young's book, while it may present great surprises and insights to many, I have already heard from the old man himself. John (the dad) was a Bible preacher; he preached the Word. He preached against sin, though his message was always saturated in God's love for His people and wayward sinners. John actually came out of the Southern Baptist church, by the way. Glad to have read this work, the story of Lakewood here comes from the perspective of one who loves and cherishes the Osteen family. Therefore, you will not get a divisive, cynical analysis of the ministry. I do see some things within Osteen's ministry and structure that are both biblical and scriptural. The one I wish to emphasize at this point is the role of the pastoral family in Christian ministry. The priesthood was passed along to Aaron and his heirs. I strongly believe that the Pastoral Family should be actively involved in the life of the church. Of course, when I say this, my intent is to communicate the role of the 'immediate' family; not mother or father-in-law, cousins, aunts, etc. It is my prayer that my sons will serve as leaders in ministry! Do I expect both of them to be preachers? I do not know! But my prayer is that their life's work would be committed to Christian ministry. If they decide to be lawyers, it is my prayer that they would provide legal counsel to the Lord's church; and that however successful they may be - that they be strong, committed Christians who tithe, attend faithfully, love their pastor and are active in sharing the gospel. This is my prayer.
What I admire most about John Osteen is that he secured a legacy for his family. It is my prayer to do the same. My goal is to work wisely, diligently and prayerfully to fulfill my purpose and pass the torch on by placing it in capable hands.

No comments: