Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Poodle Attack

I am preparing to jump in my car and head to Corpus Christi to hear my good friend Rev. Lance Mann bring the message tonight at the Friendship Baptist Church, where my brother Kevin serves as Pastor. But before I do, I wanted to write a note about something that has really traumatized me. Last Saturday, March 29 (two days before my eldest son's 6th Birthday), I took my family to the Humane Society not too far from our home. I really wanted a Cocker Spaniel, but the one there was reserved for pending adoption. I was so excited to get approved for an adoption and simply thought I would wait for a Spaniel to become available. My wife mentioned my son and I have allergies, to which the young lady recommended a Poodle. I do like poodles, but never really entertained owning one myself - after all my grandmother (my mother's mother) seemed to really love them. I wasn't a particular fan. They brought in this hairy, dingy-looking dog who needed some major grooming. However, my wife and soon-to-be 6 year old fell in love. I was NOT impressed; neither was our youngest son Kaden, who just turned 2. But my wife was so impressed with this mangy-looking Poodle that she got on the floor and held this dog. After some time, I gave in and hesitantly acquired this dog -KNOWING we had to get to the nearest Petsmart and groomer ASAP. Several hours later, my wife walked in with the dog from the groomer, and immediately I could not believe the transformation. We named her 'Sasha', middle name 'Fierce.' Little did we know how prophetic our name choice would be! That night, she jumped on the bed, to which we realized she had some very strange habits. We are gathering she must have been the companion of an elderly person and was quite spoiled. Sasha has a strange habit. At night, around 9pm, she likes to go under the bed. I did some reading and analyzing and concluded this is her 'alone time'. The night she came home, she did just that. I decided I did not want a dog under my bed. I reached my hand under the bed to softly direct her out...and was met with a quick bite and a growl. I knew then that this dog was slightly touched.

Well...this past Sunday night, she decided to jump on the bed (after 9pm), and my wife told her to get off. I moved Sasha and she slowly made her way back up against my wife. When I tried to move her again, she bit me!!! I must admit that I got very upset and went to get my belt and yelled at her, instructing her to 'get off of my bed'. She growled and tried to let me know that she was not budging. THEN....she got off and went to her battle ground....UNDER THE BED!!! I know then that it was on.

For about 30 minutes, we were fighting under the bed, as I tried to catch her. I had my gloves in place, but she and I wrestled, she growled, I threatened and tried to swing, pulling up the mattress as best I could, etc. After about 35 t0 40 minutes, I was finally able to get her, though she began to agressively attack me, I got her down to the ground in a neutral area and, I swear, this dog began to scream like a human being! She did all of this while still on the prowl and the attack. Finally, I had my hands around her mouth until she slightly calmed down. Finally I grabbed her by her neck and threw her outside in the breezway and garage.

I hadn't been that angry in about 10 years! And I could not believe I let a dog get to me like that. I felt so ashamed; and know I devastated my wife. After the fact, I felt so childish and immature. Pride just would let me get past the fact that a dog who I feed on a regular basis would not follow my instructions. Little did I know that the situation may have traumatized her more than myself. Even now, she has not returned to my room; we are finally reconciling, but it is a slow process. I never knew a poodle could have such an effect on me.

6 comments:

Vietta P's two cents worth said...

I sympathize with you. Although it sounds really extreme, harsh and abusive to this animal, you did have to make your point. To let her know what is and isn't exceptable. Learn not to use your hand so much while chastizing her. use a rolled up newspaper or small magazine to point or to fuss. You can't use the same hands to fuss with then turn around and use those same hands to feed and/or pet her with. She will soon learn by the tone of your voice what she should do and not do. Above all be consistant. Don't feel to bad about it. Your family and the poodle are in transition. I think I would have held out for the Spaniel though. Be patient.

You think that was bad...wait until you have teenagers. You just might be in training. Love you.

Momma

Momma said...

I am okay today, how are you? Hope you are healing from your Poodle experience. Most of all I hope the Poodle has healed.

Love you.

memaw/louia l francis said...

Kraig I am so sorry you and sasha had disagreements but there is a misunderstanding between both of you. She was trying to tell you she sleeps in bed with her parent and when you refused she thought you were punishing her so she got an attitude so did you and it was on (lol).Now you have some major sucking up to do baby. First purchase her a bed put it in your bed than slowly move it beside your bed, than slowly move it to where you want it to be. Give her a treat between each transition .( a treat and petting with love) Poodles like to please their masters they also like attention. A no no is good when she is wrong never punish her with your hands ,they also watch your expressions when you show unhappy they become unhappy please show happy when she does good.Kraig you have some major sucking up to do and you can do this you are a lovable person and you care . be patient with her after all she has to get use to new rules and she cannot talk .Love you Kraig ,let me know how you get through this training time .

Pastor W.L. Pullam said...

Well, I am far from a expert on the poodle thing but do believe that discipline is a taught and learned trait.
Your house, your rules but of course those rules must me taught. Being new to the place she was probably simply doing what she had always done in her previous setting. But definitely use newpaper or magazine, etc. to effect any punishment. Definitely not the hands. I do know enough to know that that is a bad idea.
Yes, you should have held out for the Spaniel since that is where your heart obviously was but that is water under the bridge now. Sasha(the Fierce) be in the family now.. lol.
A dog bed is probably a good idea but I would not be putting it in my bed or the bedroom. No, put it where it is going to be and train her to head there when she is ready to rest or sleep. Dogs are a lot smarter than they some how pretend to be but they are also more stubborn that you might expect and, yes, they love having their way. Anyway, you and the rest of the family are going to get through it. Got to take it a step at a time. You don't know what background she came from so it will take a while for her to learn the ropes, so to speak.
God bless and I am sure that you are forgiven for "throwing the dog" :).

Pastor Kraig L. Pullam said...

Thanks for all the comments! I kinda wish you guys would have given this invaluable advice BEFORE the ordeal. But thanks anyway!

memaw/louia lee said...

I guess when I mentioned putting her bed on your bed was to be introducing the article to her as if she hadn't had a bed pick her up and put her in it ,pet her than move it to the floorby the bed than put it where you want it . when you bring a pet home it is not the time to get into strick chastizing But love and patience.I am sure you are doing well. memaw