Sunday, November 11, 2007

Sunday, November 11, 2007

We had a good worship experience this morning! There is no other way to put it-God showed up and we had church. I have theological views that work against that expression: 'we had church'. But--I hope its only taken at surface value and what I intend to say is clear. I don't know exactly how to describe what the Lord is doing in our local fellowship; there are certainly changes that HE is making. It is slow growth at this point; but it is sure growth. As my eldest preaching brother has noted: sometimes...if it GROWS fast it BLOWS fast! Therefore, I am learning to appreciate what God has given me and see it as a gift. This slow growth for me allows ME to grow in the process. Attendance today was the best I have seen in a while. The spirit of the church was amazing and we were on one accord. Well-from what I can tell. I've learned to weed out negative spirits, personalities, pessimistic personalities and the like. I can't ruin my day because of trivial people who simply have a problem with themselves and God; it's not my problem. No decisions were made in terms of someone walking forward; though I had an unusual burden on my heart sensing that the Lord was speaking to someone to come forward. That burdens me; but I did my part. Sunday School went well. D'Ani taught today on the subject of 'Leadership'. She did an outstanding job! We continued a teaching series that we've been in for Sunday School entitled 'When God Builds a Church'. In our general Sunday School we had 23 in attendance today! This probably means nothing to many local congregations. But when we're accustomed to having no more than 9 or 10 in Sunday School-this is nothing short of a miracle, as far as I'm concerned. Again I am sure that the adversary is not pleased-but I am committed to seeing all of this through! God has a specific plan and purpose for Cornerstone, and He will have HIS way in our church.

Here is the skeleton for today's message:

Subject: Take Possession
Text: Genesis 12:1-2

Opening Premise: It is the desire of God that every child of His live in the fulfillment and purpose for which they were born.

Thesis: God has an amazing plan in store for you; it is up to you to follow His plan through your obedience.

Intro
- You are already in a position for prosperity and in your destiny.
- God’s definition of prosperity is different from man’s definition of prosperity.
- What prosperity is not (cars, wardrobe, etc.)
- Prosperity is a condition of existence that allows you to walk in the fulfillment of who God has designed you to be.

* Abram is already positioned for greatness (verse 1)
* Abram is positioned irrespective of his history
* His father Terah (Genesis 11:31 -32)
i. He set out for Canaan
ii. He settled in Haran (metropolitan city)
iii. He grew comfortable living short of Canaan (the promise)

- God is not in your stuff; He resides in your obedience.
- Be careful about becoming complacent in your Haran.
- There is always danger when your pursuit of stuff gets in the way of God’s glory.

Lessons:
Don’t settle too soon
It’s too soon to quit
Don’t remain where you are on the basis of how good a thing may look; because that may not be where God wants you.
When you stop before you arrive where God wants you—you may look good but you will die.

Transitional Statement: God puts you in position; YOU have to take possession.

Probing Question: How do I take possession in order that I can be all that the Lord has created me to be?

I. In order to take possession you have to change your environment. (verse 1a)

II. When God pronounces possession on you it is NOT when you have it. (verse 1b)

III. If you manage it, God will make it happen. (verse 2)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praises be to God for answering prayer. I am happy to hear that Conerstone's worship experience was blessed. It is so good to hear that once again God does more than we ask. I am also happy Pastor P. that you sound enthusiastic about today. It makes ME feel good when YOU are feeling your best. Our worship sevices were also a blessing. Take care. Love you.

vlpsongbird

Unknown said...

Kraig thank God for the wisdom He has given you for the task at hand. Thank God for the blessed time Cornerstone had in corporate worship. May He continue to bless your efforts.

Tony R.

Pastor Kevin Lanier Pullam said...

I thank God with and for you as you continue in the "work of ministry." It is good to know that God is still blessing you with spiritual fruit and growth. The message was yet another wonderful and powerful one.
Love,
K.P.