Friday, November 02, 2007

un/Forgiveness and the Offender...

Last night, we began a lesson that centers around our series Why Churches Die, we have been dealing the past two weeks with two major ailments that sicken and poison the body of Christ-Glossolitis (Gossip) and the Toxin of Bitterness, Jealousy and Envy. At its root is a heart and the issue of unforgiveness. We had, I believe, a good Bible study. I continue to find some degree of discouragement because of attendance. It can be quite frustrating to see some not take advantage helpful, insightful, scriptural information--when I know that it will both help them and is something they deal with continuously in their own lives. I try not to allow myself to become overwhelmingl discouraged by looking at the majority (read the last blog and you will see the frustration) that I overlook and become ungrateful with the minority. That is one end of the sprectrum; on the other end--I think it SHOULD bother me as a pastor, to some degree. Especially when I look at the shepherd in scripture who wetn looking for the one lost sheep when he already had 99 sheep in his pasture. He passionately pursued after that one lost sheep. I don't mean to imply that those who aren't passionate about studying the Word are lost. I think their priorities are misplaced. Whether it is a result of their being 'lost' or not, that is God's call (John 15:1-8).

In our discussion on forgiveness, someone asked if it is necessary to forgive the offender when they don't even know they've offended or convinced they didn't offend. Immediately I would say yes; atleast I think that is what I've been taught-for the most part. There is another question that comes to mind: does God forgive US if we unknowingly sin against Him? If so, then what's the point of both confession and repentance? This is a question I thought I knew the answer to, quite naturally. But I thought it was a good question--that I need to look at again. I would love to know the thoughts of you who read this blog. I would love to know what you think.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pastor P. I have heard many sermons and have sat in some classes where the subject of forgiveness has been taught. It is my opinion that yes we are to forgive even if the offender isn't aware of the offense. Them knowing or not isn't the stipulation for which we are to forgive (Matt.6:14-15). It will free us and release us from the bondage of sin that will fester within (hatred, malice, etc.). And, we know if we want God to forgive us we should learn how to forgive. Those who are spiritual should always take the lead in restoration of any kind (Gal.6:1).

With God we have to ask to be forgiven. Man ought to always pray (confession and repentance). In the model prayer (Matt.6:9-13)Jesus taught us how to pray. Asking for forgiveness is included (just in case there are sins we are not aware of, we'll have it covered). He is a perfect God. Unforgiven sin will not cause him to sin as it would us.

I struggle with this issue of forgiveness. I fight hard to be a forgiver. I raalize this is something to keep me on my knees. Are we to forgive and Not remember?
Thank you for your blog on this subject that causes me to reflect upon my growth in this area or the lack thereof...pray for me.

vlpsongbird

Pastor Kraig L. Pullam said...

Thank you--this was extremely helpful and insightful!