Monday, November 26, 2007

Struggle!

Today in my seminary class, we completed our semester's teaching agenda. This gave opportunity for us to glean from this sage and giant of a man we call Dr. Overton. The course is entitle 'Life and Ministry of the Pastor'. One of the things he mentioned was moving from one church to another and how he knew when the time had come to move on and when to stay in certain places that the Lord had planted him. One of the things that happened to be mention in our discussion is--being able to discern when where you are and the obstacles that you face are merely a 'time of testing' and when it is God raising the red flag that it is time to move. I think many of us who are saved struggle with this. In my transparency--I must ADMIT that I, too, struggle with this from time to time. I consider myself a person of strong resolve and persistent (though sometimes wavering) faith.

Cornerstone has face many, many obstacles. From those who have come and those whom have gone; from obstacles in finding space and a location; to finances and just simply 'people problems', lack of commitment, leadership issues, etc. My story is probably all too common among pastor, people, and many congregations. Of course, I would be to differ and suggest we are a unique situation--why? Because we are a NEW church. We don't have any history--so we don't have the credit to where banks trust us; we don't have a track record--so many of our members will not put their name on the line to make it happen; we are predominantly a young church (in age)--so there is very little commitment and giving. Why? They are doing work, school, and leisure--and usually houses, cars, etc. come first. I could go on and on but I think it's clear what I am trying to say--unless there is RESOLVE, we can easily interpret that this is NOT God, close up the church and dissolve. Others may say--this is a season of testing. I used to claim that I knew 100% for sure. I do know that HE called me to do this; but like a marriage--it is a partnership--no one is an island. No man can pastor a church by himself. We have about 5 to 10 strong, committed Christians who are being discipled under the leadership of Cornerstone--where I serve. I thank God daily for these people in particular, though I pray daily for all the members of Cornerstone. It is my sincere prayer that more of our 'attenders' will see the urgency of what is still deemed 'a new ministry' who 'has yet to fly on her own' that they are urgently needed. It is crucial and critical. Until God shows me differently--I will contine to see this as a time of testing for 'me' personally--if for no one else, I am growing spiritually and I have seen and experienced enough at Cornerstone alone to write a book!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Be encouraged Kraig,you are being prayed for.
Preach the Word Reverened. Preach the Word!!!!


Tony R.