Friday, April 25, 2008

WE CAN'T STOP

As the Senior Pastor of a great congregation-I have been privileged to see great people join our ranks and some who have gone. There are those who have left for their own reasons and many whose lives are enhanced that remain. Interestingly-many a pastor have a proclivity to allow the departure of some to get to them in a personal way. There are even times when there are pastors who allow these times to discourage them to the point that they, too, desire to walk away. The reality of all of this is--we can not quit!!! Through the years, I have actually run into people who have even professed, '....I 'used' to be a preacher!'. There are many people who come to church with their 'own' agendas; those who come to church looking to be seen; some who come out of ritual and habit; even those who come for business connections and to pass out their cards; there are even some who come to church because they want the "look" of leadership or to complete their "look" of success. After all--it would look good on your resume to say you are a 'Deacon', etc. For some--the church has equated to the kiddie league--it just seems like the right thing to do...and makes you look like a good guy/woman. I pray to be an encouragement to some minister, staff person, layperson--somewhere....that YOU HAVE A RESPONSIBILITY TO KEEP GOING. Galatians 6:9 teaches us to 'be not weary in well doing'. In John 16:33 Christ states that we will have tribulation in this world....but He has overcome the world. Isn't that good news?

Bottom Line--it's too soon to quit!!! And never allow any person to altar your divine perspective of the goal. There are some people in your life that are there for a season; others that are there for a lifetime. Celebrate who you are in Christ! Meditate on God's Word! Stay the course!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't really go to church as I was raised to do by my Grandmother. She took us every Sunday. I got off track when I went off to college. Not that I was really into it like my other siblings. Since I have been doing this "adult" thing and going through some problems I notice I do feel better after worship when I do go. What caught my eye in this blog is when you suggested that it is a responsibility. I guess with all of the other responsibilities I have inhereted with being an adult I am going to make an effort to make this top priority. I can hear my late Grandma also saying to my brother and two sisters that "we can't stop" Thanks for listening to me. You have helped me today.

LaDarius

Pastor Kraig L. Pullam said...

God Bless you! I do thank you for your comments and thoughts and hope to see you come by again soon. I was raised in church and there is such joy when being about the things of God--including gathering with others in our common faith. Your grandmother taught you very well! It is a responsibility. Thanks!

Pastor Lance A. Mann said...

Pastor Kraig, what an awesome post brother. I know excatly what you are saying in this post, for I have gone through that same feeling myself. When I announced to our church the need for us to sell our 130 year-old building and move to a better location, due to the change in demographics of our community, many members left in protest. And the truth of the matter is, this caused me to feel for a brief moment that I should just walk away. But I have been charged by the Lord to remain faithful to my assignment. WE CANNOT QUIT.

Pastor Lance

Anonymous said...

Thank you Pastor Kraig for giving Pastor Lance the message. He did a magnificant job with my questions. I look forward everyday to see what each of you have to say. I learn even through your sermon notes. Sometimes I can apply it and sometimes it's over my head. It's great to see smart minds think on paper. I will be back.

L.J.

Ed Johnson III said...

Kraig, please go over to my blog. I have a question that I would like to get your answer on. Thanks.

Ed Johnson III said...

Thanks for responding to my question. I hope that we get some good discussion going with this questions (as well as with others).

I don't know if I expressed this to you or not. I am trying to network with various African-American pastors who have blogs. Let's stay connected and keep up with each of our blogs.

Pastor Lance A. Mann said...

Pastor Kraig, Can you please put your sermons on your youtube page. I would love to hear your preaching gift. I love preachers and I love preaching.

Pastor Lance

Anonymous said...

I would like to hear your Preaching also.

Pastor Kraig L. Pullam said...

Pastor Mann and Anonymous, I will work on this. In the meantime, I am told there is a 10 minute excerpt of me preaching at a church here in Houston on youtube. Just type in my name (Kraig Pullam) and see if it pulls up.