Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Inspiration

We have a young man at our church--(because I haven't spoken with him I will not give his name)--I saw him at church this past Sunday and really gained a new level of inspiration. He is my workout partner. Well, lets just say that MOST Wednesdays he and I work out. This young man is passionate about reaching his goal physically. For the past 8 weeks he has been even more intense in his workout habits--at his job they've been kind of on some type of weight-loss contest. Needless to say--HE WON. He lost a total of 37 or 38 pounds! Surprisingly, though I see him every week, when I saw him Sunday, I really could visibly see the results of his diligence.

Then I thought about myself as a student/steward of God's Word and as a Christian Leader. I thought about the many times he would go the extra mile in his workout when I said, 'this is enough'. Though I worked out with him once a week, he was in the gym every day--sometimes 2 times a day. He changed his diet, while mine remained pretty much the same. He was consistent, I was inconsistent.

This guy had resolve, determination, and stick-to-itness.

Those who acheive are those who exemplify certain characteristics--
- They are willing to continue when others desire to quit
- They are willing to go where others refuse to go
- They are willing to show up when others decide to stay home
- They are willing to press their way through the discomfort when others retreat

I thank this brother for the inspiration. There are spiritual princples in this analogy. We are MORE than overcomers!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to become an overcomer in many areas of my life. I need to lose 50lbs, I would be happy with losing 30. I have found that it takes a lot of work and diligence to achieve. Thank you for bringing out the similarities between doing this and the spiritual. I worked hard towards the understanding of God's word and His ways. Once I committed to it I haven't turned back. So, I will pray for this kind of staying power and look forward to being thinner and healthier. Thanks again.

Pastor Kraig L. Pullam said...

I don't know who posted the comment; but I must say that you have said something that has been on my heart. I will just call what I am dealing with as 'Holy Discontentment'. I am dis-satisfied with staying at the same level. I think that it is the responsibility of the church to respond to the issues in the community. With that said--the church should be the first to address the physical issues of health and wellness in the community. I, too, need to lose atleast 50 pounds. Because the church has so much influence--we should be the first to show people (just as myself) how to tackle the issue. Thanks!

Ed Johnson III said...

I couldn't agree with you more, Kraig. I applaud your desire to tackle certain topics that have been taboo for some time in the Black church.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your comment to me (I am the anonymous blogger). I know I am not alone in being dis-satisfied with staying at the same level. Maybe through your words and others that I enjoy reading will inspire me towards overcoming other issues in my life. I would also seek bloggers who will deal with the hurt of addiction of family members and depression. I am happy with MANY things God has done in my life and I know He is an able God.

L.J.

Anonymous said...

I would like to address the anonymous blogger. I have been a married woman since I was 17 years old. This July we will celebrate our 40th anniversary. I am past 55 years old. So, I had to learn and grow up in a hurry before most of my peers. I wanted to always be responsible in everything I did including raising children, being a good wife, faithful christian, good friend, etc. It didn't always work out the way I wanted. I Had many challenges for my age at the time. But I can truly say I became an overcomer even through the setbacks. I didn't stop trying to become what I wanted to do and be. With God it always work out as long as I did my part and was obiedient to Him (that in itself was a challenge to do). I have faced addiction in my family and fatally lost them to drugs and alchohol. We as a family overcame that. I have had 2 bouts with major depression one being after a teenage rape (which I NEVER speak of)and God navigated circumstances and people in my life to overcome that. Now I face a new challenge with health issues and there is no doubt that I will get through this. These and many other things I have gone through without my children and sometimes my husband's knowledge only God was with me. I also need to lose some weight which is the first step to help towards my cures.

So, continue to be happy with what God has done for you. And know that what He has done for others He can and will do for you. Thank you Pastor Pullam for allowing me to vent and possibly help in some way.

vlpSongbird

Pastor Lance A. Mann said...

Kraig, first of all, we are becoming blog friends pretty fast, and I like it when my friends call me Lance. I want to thank you for your encouraging words regarding my sermon outlines. And yes they are transferable, because none but Jesus is original, and I am hoping that you put some more of your outlines on your blog so that I can transfer them (LOL). Your have inspired me to do more writing on subjects that are not usually spoken of. Thank you buddy, and I am anticipating a long-lasting friendship in Christ Jesus.

Anonymous said...

Pastor Lance I looked up and found your blog> I wanted to tell you that I would welcome some comments on some everyday issues that you plan to address along with Pastor Kraig> But your blog does not except anonymous bloggers> I hope you get the message here since I notice you always look in on Pastor Kraig> What does the church really say about homosexuality? How do we forgive the molester? Need to know. I feel more comfortable asking by remaining anonymous