Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Solidifying my own preaching style

Someone reading this blog is already taken aback--i used the word 'style'. Someone would say, as I would-'It's not about style; it's about substance'. I totally agree. Please don't read too much into the title. I am using 'style' there for lack of a better word.

Now to the point I want to make: I have been preaching for almost 15 years. Through all of the messages, sermons, teaching, etc., one thing I have learned--and finally accepted: for the most part, I am not an alliterated preacher! This is something I've struggled with, off and on, for years. Alliteration (doing the 5 a's one week, the 4 r's the next week, etc.) is something I have always admired. The minds of some of these expositors just boggles me how they are able to flow with this great and unique gift-to put these words together--almost without ease. Usually, when I have done alliteration, it has been from some preaching book, outline material, etc. I've noticed that alliteration works very well for me in my sentences, in giving the background, and context, and even when giving word definitions. But when I have used the alliteration style/format in my messages--I've learned how to survive a message; but I KNEW, if no one else knew, that the alliteration just wasn't working for me. I do remember reading 7 or 8 years ago that Spurgeon wasn't big on alliteration--though he did use this style earlier in his ministry quite frequently. Even back then, this didn't steer me one way or the other--though I have ALWAYS admired the 'Golden-throated' preacher.

When I first began preaching, I immediately began implementing what worked for me. For instance, my first message. I shared from Philippians 2:12 -17. My points were 1. Walk cautiously and carefully 2. God works in, man works out 3. God's Word is to be obeyed and not discussed 4. God wants you to be blameless and harmless.

Over the years, I used this format quite often...then I would often get caught up in trying to do alliteration (with my points).

Several years ago, I was taking a preaching class with a professor Dr. Denny Autry. He could not attend one class session, and so he invited his friend and preaching colleague, Dr. John R. Bisagno. I was just amazed. John Bisagno? This guy is one of God's best preachers. He is the pastor emeritus of First Baptist Houston. He was along the line of W.A. Criswell--a little younger, but surely considered a sage of a preacher. He introduced us to something that really 'clicked' for me. He showed us what he has popularly termed as PRINCIPLE PREACHING. He explained this idea as creating and delivering sermons for life applications. To really assess and address what the text really says at its core. It has only been now that I fully realize and accept what God has used and shown to work of me (can't speak for anyone else)--and that is principle preaching!!! Just taking the scripture, looking at that scripture and expressing what the writer intended to say and how that truth is integrated (and should be implemented) into the life of the hearer.

I would recommend Bisagno's book, it has been a great help to me. It is 'Principle Preaching' by John R. Bisagno published by Broadman and Holman. I will have to get a copy for all of my preachers--it is a good book with quite a few examples of how it is done!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Kraig, this sounds like a nother good one. I have heard of Bisango over the years, and even last week I heard him on the radio. I did not know he was as an author.

Will check it out.

Tony