Friday, September 05, 2008

Because I belong to Him

Though my schedule has been quite hectic, somehow I've managed to pick up a book off of the shelf and do some additional reading. I have found myself trying to read everything I can these days by Mark Dever, that 'XII Marks' guy. In reading this book - like much of Dever's work - I find great challenge, thought, conviction and instruction. Among the 12 (twelve) challenges - of which Dever references the Corinthian church, he lists 'forgetfulness'.

I am arrested by the striking words that Dever uses when he says: Our sharing in Christ is God's fundamental blessing to Christians.

If I may reference Dever, he says:

Many of us know the famous first question and answer of the Westminster Shorter catechism: "What is the chief end of man? Man's chief end is to glorify God and enjoy him forever." But nearly a century before the Westminster Assembly produced their famous catechism, the German reformer Ursinus produced the Heidelberg Catechism (1563) with an initial question and answer no less worthy of being known:

Question: What is you only comfort in life and in death?

Answer: That I am not my own, but belong-body and soul-in life and in death-to my faithful Savior, Jesus Christ. He has fully paid for all my sins with his precious blood, and has set me free from the tyranny of the devil. He also watches over me in such a way that not a hair can fall from my head without the will of my Father in heaven; in fact, all things must work together for my salvation. Because I belong to him, Christ, by his Holy Spirit, assures me of eternal life and makes me whole-heartedly willing and ready from now on to live for him.


6 comments:

Pastor A. A. McGhee said...

This very book has been featured on my blog for the past week and a half. I'm sure that you can attest as I have, that it is a must read. Thanks for sharing your reflections. They truly are a blessing.

Vietta P's two cents worth said...

I thank you as well Pastor for sharing. I will look to see if your father has it in his library. I never tire of more and more information and insight into God's love and my Savior's awesome sacrifice. Becoming more aware of what that entails for my life here on earth and my heavenly destiny is a believers responsibility.

Yes, "God's fundamental blessing to us as Christians IS our sharing in Christ". To God be the Glory.

Momma

Pastor W.L. Pullam said...

Very interesting Brother Pastor. You can be sure that I will be picking up a copy of this one. I love books and am constantly looking for a good read and this one certainly seems to fit the bill. God bless and thanks for sharing.

Rev.Aaron Holcombe said...

Sounds like a great read! Thanks for the post. Bless you!

Pastor Lance A. Mann said...

Great post and recommendation Kraig...I've got to order that book soon.

Lance

Keith D. Witherspoon said...

Thanks for the post. I will add this to my library