Thursday, July 31, 2008

Doctrine That Dances


I cannot begin to fathom how many books I have in my Library that deal with preaching. About a year ago I set out on a journey to restrain from buying another book on preaching; and concentrate on retaining all of the information entailed in the materials I already have. Well, several weeks ago I was in a bookstore and was arrested by Robert Smith's Doctrine that Dances. I am just beginning this read; but it already proves to be an insightful and interesting read. Smith shows how to blend cogitation and celebration, mind AND heart. Smith footnotes that '....the preacher who handles the Word must first be touched by that same Word.' He also says and I quote, '...preaching that leaves the cognitive untouched produces hearers who may leave the sanctuary feeling better but without having been helped by the deep doctrinal truths of the Scriptures.'
Smith suggests that there must be a bridge between insight and excitement. That the message proclaimed should never be void of life, zenith, joy and serendipity. I totally agree! Furthermore, Smith states that preaching and teaching that evades head engagement will lead to blindness, and preaching that ignores heart engagement does so at the behest of boredom and dullness, that eventually 'prevents the result of an engaged hearing for a transformed life.'
I thank the Lord for using this read to challenge me in the arena(s) of the cognitive and the celebratve.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kraig thanks for the recco. I will have to pick this one up. I am a big fan of Dr. Smith.

Thanks,

Tony R.

Pastor A. A. McGhee said...

Pastor Kraig,

Your summation of what your read proves this book to be insightful,compelling and a must read. Thanks for the recommendation.

Pastor Lance A. Mann said...

Kraig, thanks for the recommendation, and I totally believe that theory, because I tell my church that I eat when I am cooking. Got to get that book.

Lance

Pastor Kevin Lanier Pullam said...

Hello Brother,

You are always able to find the greatest books and resources. This is indicative of the information and inspiration you are constantly seeking and sowing. Thanks for sharing and I am looking forward to getting this one A.S.A.P.

Kevin

Keith D. Witherspoon said...

Thanks for the insight! I will add this book to my library.

Anonymous said...

Pastor, this is good. I'll check it out.