Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Is there room for growth???

In following the 2008 presidential run, I have noticed something that has both disturbed me and has caused me some level of sadness. (for the lack of a better word) All bias and political preferences aside - let's take Obama. Now I am keenly aware that my preaching colleagues, both republican and democratic - frequent my blog. I also know that some of my parishioners, seminary friends (and even professors!!!) visit my blog along with some of my students. Therefore, I know I tread thin ice AND I do not seek here to validate or vilify any particular candidate. As far as I am concerned, according to 1st Peter 3, the candidate that the Lord wants to lead this country during this process in history - is the candidate that He sees fit to win that election.

So can I use Obama? He was criticized for the Jeremiah Wright controversy. In summary the argument suggested that Pastor Wright was and is anti-American and this is a reflection of Obama - otherwise, he wouldn't have sat under Wright's ministry for 20 plus years. However, Obama drew criticism from the SAME people when he finally denounced Wright several months ago. Their argument: It's too late!

As I write this blog, Obama-along with leaders from both Republican and Democratic sides-are touring Iraq, etc. There is criticism now regarding this trip and the critiquing of this exhibition. However, this comes from the SAME people who criticized him a year ago for not taking enough vested interest in Iraq to even visit there himself.

Lest I seem to be defending 'Barry', the same is done with McCain and others I am sure.

But here is my point. We don't seem to allow others room for growth. The fact is - there may have been some decisions we all have made in years prior that, today, do not reflect who we are. To be honest--there are some foolish decisions I made when I was 10 or 15 0r 20....that I would NEVER make today. Furthermore, I have met some people who have done things in their past that they would NEVER be seen doing today. Does that make them any less of a person? Could it be that they have grown?

I would encourage all--namely Christians--to allow fellow-Christians....our spouses, political candidates who are Christian, parents, children, pastors, christian leaders, deacons, ministers, etc. - ROOM for growth.

By the way--I am praying for our political candidates. We are seeing something in our Amercan History that is unprecedented on both sides of the ticket. Because I have grown, I am not only praying for these candidates, and the candidate of God's choice, but also our present administration during their last months in office. Our economy is not the greatest... But just think - God is still faithful.

Footnote: Anything that is not growing is probably dead. And anything dead should be buried OR resurrected.

2 comments:

Ed Johnson III said...

Great post, my friend! I think that there are times when we are too quick to criticize and too slow at understanding.

I have prayed for the presidential candidates and our current president and will continue to do so.

Pastor Lance A. Mann said...

Wow! I constantly am praying for this election, but more specifically Barack Obama. If he does the unthinkable and actually becomes president, his life will always be on the line. If McCain becomes president, our lives will always be on the line. We need to pray without ceasing.

Lance