Thursday, January 10, 2008

A Harsh Dilemma

I am dealing with a strange an unusual set of circumstances as a Pastor: Our church is GROWING! We are growing in more ways than one--we are growing spiritually (which is most important), in commitment, and also numerically. Well-kind of. My dilemma is very frustrating--new people are coming; and some of the old people are leaving.

As Pastor, I know that there are people who are only here for a season; and that there are some selfish attitudes that just don't harmonize with the unselfishness that Christ demands. I am aware of this. But it seems as if-just as many people that come; we have just that many people who depart. I want to keep the front door open; I also want to shut the back door.

I am gathering (and I could be incorrect) that the people who have been at our church already feel as if they mean nothing to the success of our church's future. I can only assume, because most of the people who have either left, or just not present--are NOT talking to me!

I am beyond the point of always blaming myself for these person's leaving. I know where I am; I know my heart and I know my stance with the Lord. Additionally, this is also a new year and I refuse to harp on the mistakes we've made in 2007.

I just hope and pray that people will see that they are wanted and their work is needed. I will continue to reach out; but I can only do my part--as I continue to pray--as I also continue to nurture those who are still in our fellowship and the new souls that have been added.

In closing, I do know this--everybody is not at the same level spiritually. Therefore, I do know that there are some members who require and desire extra attention. This isn't compromise. I am willing to oblige; but I will never do it at the expense of wavering in my convictions. We are a GROWING church; and there will ALWAYS be new people who come. Therefore, it is my prayer that our congregation will learn how to welcome new members of the family and recognize that the Kingdom of God is 'a family affair'.

No comments: