Tuesday, December 04, 2007

More Greek!

Tonight was MORE Greek. We had three weeks off; and it was quite evident!!! Thank God that our professor forgot that he had assigned us a quiz on declensions, etc. that I hadn't studied for--though many remembered and were prepared. He forget because OF ME!!! God is good!!! We discussed some things, mainly one that I DID NOT even know. Southern Baptists take the stand that there are Women Deacons! What? I need to do more research; this may be a Southwestern thing and not a SBC thing. The premise is taken from 1 Timothy 3:11; that, in the original language--the qualifications there do NOT make reference to Deacon's wives, but rather female deacons. I just had a lot of questions about this subject knowing that I never even heard or even considered this point of view. I remember doing a study on some of our culture calling the wives of Deacons a 'Deaconess'. I have not nor do I see now that concept in scripture. A Deacon's wife being a 'Deaconess' by default is no more true than the wife of a Pastor makes her a Pastoress or the wife of a Prophet (in the OT) a Prophetess.

Take note, I haven't done any research on any of this as of yet--that is, on female deacons. Rest assured, I WILL. And in no way, am I placing this in the category of women ministers. Those are 2 separate issues in scripture. I don't want to say anything that is incorrect only to have to correct myself after I have studied and it looks as if I am contradicting myself. I will say, as of now, my BIGGEST surprise is that Southwestern is a proponent of this view. And moreover, I have always 'assumed' that the term 'Deacon' (diakonos) was a masculine term. If the term, in scripture, is gendered neuter--then that changes everything. Atleast for me! If it is gendered masculine--then the term Deacon in my view could NOT possibly mean a female Deacon.

I will study this in depth, as I have with women in ministry--and, will post in a future blog. Bear in mind, this will take some time. I try not to stand for something unless I am 100% certain that I have done research and insight into the the biblical text. Disclaimor: I know this is a sensitive subject. Note: I have NOT attempted, in any way, to express one way or another in this blog which way I am leaning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kraig I am interested in your finidings. Please post them when you can. I am not sure if I remember this or correctly or not but in the declinsion of nouns, masculine, feminie and neuter are not always signs of male or female identity. In declining the Greek word for the Holy Spirit, I believe it sometimes has a neuter ending, should He be referred to as an it or a thing? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Tony R.