Tuesday, June 02, 2009

I'm Starting a Forum/Forum 1

The Lord is leading me in the direction of setting up more structure in my pastorate and in my own life. One of the ways I am doing this is 1) I've been praying on how better to be mentored in the context of my unique role as Pastor of Cornerstone, a church that is so different from any church I've ever attended. 2) How to develop a comeradorie amongst fellow-Pastors and brothers that is strong, healthy, open and purposeful. 3) Getting sound advice that will help our church to flourish and abound.



Therefore, one of the things I wish to do is ask those who are my blog friends; and those that are NOT - to give me advice (whether I eventually agree or not) as if you were my mentor or pastor (though this is not just to pastors and preachers, but laypeople - and my momma!); what you would say to me if we were sitting at a table and I desperately needed your help, as I do!



Throughout the Summer, I would like to ask these questions and ask that you would answer them via the comment page. Let me be clear, this is not just something I am curious about: I NEED your help; I WANT your help; and (believe it or not)...many who view my blog in the future will gain so much from your insight. PLEASE HELP ME.



I am about to give my first question now (others following will be labeled 'forum 1', 'forum 2', etc):





How do you get members excited about being apart of the church you pastor? Excited to the point where they tell everybody they know how much they love their church. Excited to the point where they can't wait to make it to church on Sunday and midweek. Excited to the point where they will drive from far and near; and pick up whomever needs a ride - to get to the place they call their church home. How? That's the first question!

4 comments:

Ronald said...

I believe that ministry is taught and caught. With our shared passion to be effective tools in the hand of God, I believe that we have to know our role. The entire assignment that God has given to us is one that cannot be done without His help. NLT 1 Corinthians 3:7 The ones who do the planting or watering aren't important, but God is important because he is the one who makes the seed grow.

Passion, excitement and or genuine enthusiasm is something God gives. We can lead the proverbial horse to water but we cannot make them drink. Living in this tension is difficult, frustrating and downright depressing at times however, we are called upon to continue sowing seed and just like the patient farmer, he knows in God’s own time, He’ll make it grow.

NLT Matthew 28:20 Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age."

Sola Scriptura,

Ron

Anonymous said...

Hello Pastor, I can go on and on about my opinions about today's parishioner. As Melvin and I so often say among ourselves when speaking of our African American church experience and today's churchmen..."We're dealing with a brand new Negro today" Your struggle with this new generation is on a very different level than the congregants we inherited in our ministry, or we ourselves once were.

There is a lot of competition that today's society puts upon our attempt at being committed to assembling ourselves together as God's people in God's house. This is why so many of our new age churches have incorporated a means to entertain and use secular avenues of fellowship into today's worship and membership. With my generation and our mothers and fathers before me, church going was so embeded into our our way of life for many reasons. In our era that WAS our only means to a social life, a way to meet potential mates, church going kids were not allowed to court non church going children. Our era was so indoctrinated with a hell and brimstone mentality, that we had a fierce spirit to comply to whatever grandma said that would happen if we weren't in church. If nothing else our fear of everlasting damnation would get most of us to church every Sunday. And then...there was the "Blue Law" that prohibited all businesses from being opened on Sundays. There was an immediate decline in everyone's church's attendance the moment it was lifted.

I totally agree with what Rev. Ron has previously said. In addition to knowing what the churh is competing with. And, your fight to gain and keep their attention.

Yes, your worship service is definitely different from any that I have attended. As your Father has always said "everybody has their own flavor" that they like when it comes to choosing a church home. Personally, I would not enjoy a very large contemporary church atmosphere. But there are those who do.

I found that "our" churche does best when we cater to the very young and put our efforts into gathering and fostering ministries for them. Most often the parents eventually will follow. I am begging Pastor to purchase us a 20-25 seat "Angel Bus" right now for us to go into the surrounding neighborhoods our church to rebuild the Angel Choir, Sunday School, and children's department. Pick up everyone and everybody who will allow their children to come, sing, get food both for the body and soul. If we build them, then the others will come.

Maybe I'll write next time about today's parenting skills in giving their children a choice whether or not they want to go to church service or stay at home and play Xbox, or play station. At my house it was NOT an option.

Great post. I'll be back. Love you.

Your Momma

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.