Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Gospel of Self?

I was introduced to John MacArthur through my Dad who, when growing up, always had a love and affection for the writings of this great preacher.  His love for the writings of MacArthur were so evident to me that they were the only books in my father's extensive library that I never bothered! (That's my story and I'm sticking to it...)  Over the course of my pastoring in Victoria (which is an hour's commute from my hom), I have grown to love and appreciate the preaching and ministry of MacArthur for myself.  This virtual obsession with everything MacArthur becomes more and more intense, it seems, as time goes on.  During my commute, I have an opportunity to listen to MacArthur on my iPhone to and from each week.  He NEVER disappoints.  What seems most impressing and convicting is MacArthur's clear and committed exposition of scripture, it's truth, and thoroughly handling the biblical text faithfully and accurately.  Several weeks ago I read another book by MacArthur entitled Hard to Believe.  Though I've had this book, as with many MacArthur's books, in my library for several years - I read it only for the first time a few weeks ago.  I'm glad I did!  The entire premise of this book is centered around this new age gospel of self-esteem, self-will and self-help in the face of Luke 9:23 which says,


"If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself
and take up his cross daily and follow me." (ESV)



MacArthur describes how the culprits of this 'self movement' have taken humanistic psychology and attached what seems to be a bible candy coating and administered the drug of self-esteem, and it's related counterparts to the woes of modern Christians who have been robbed of their joy though deception and false doctrine, coupled with the perversion of scripture.  What makes this movement so dangerous is: 1) it twists the scripture in order to fit to the human self, rather than conforming to the God of the scripture and 2) it is satanically deceptive and demonic. 

Interestingly, the scripture is clear that this time would come. 2 Timothy 3:2-5 says that "...men will be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy. Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away."

Admittedly, I have been guilty a time or two of point to our own value for affirmation and confidence.  On the surface, there is nothing wrong about this reality.  However, is is dangerous in that none of us, in our human self, have any actual value apart from the value given to us by God.  What gives us value, in fact, is that we are His. I think the scripture is clear on where our human self stands in relation to our value.

David says:

Psa 51:5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.

Psa 39:5 Behold, thou hast made my days as an handbreadth; and mine age is as nothing before thee: verily every man at his best state is altogether vanity. Selah.

Psa 14:3 They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy: there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

Job writes:Job 15:16
How much more abominable and filthy is man, which drinketh iniquity like water?

Isaiah declares: Isa 40:17
All nations before him are as nothing; and they are counted to him less than nothing, and vanity.

Paul writes: Gal 6:3
For if a man think himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceiveth himself.

Rom 7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: (Before you were saved your spirit was dead - no value there!)

Rom 5:6 For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.

Rom 5:7 For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die.

Rom 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

Rom 5:10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

Jesus taught:Mat 16:24
Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

I am reminded of the words of the words written why Augustus M. Topadly in 1776, that seem so befitting when I think of enrapturing ourselves in harmony and oneness with the infiniate worth of Christ....

Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee;
Let the water and the blood,
From Thy wounded side which flowed,

Be of sin the double cure;
Save from wrath and make me pure.
Not the labor of my hands
Can fulfill Thy law’s demands;

Could my zeal no respite know,
Could my tears forever flow,
All for sin could not atone;
Thou must save, and Thou alone.

Nothing in my hand I bring,
Simply to the cross I cling;

Naked, come to Thee for dress;
Helpless look to Thee for grace;

Foul, I to the fountain fly;
Wash me, Savior, or I die.
While I draw this fleeting breath,
When mine eyes shall close in death,

When I soar to worlds unknown,
See Thee on Thy judgment throne,
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee.



As I lead God's people, continually prepare myself as a steward of God's Word, study and prepare myself to handle and share His Word with others, lead my family, love my wife and grow as a servant-leader...I am humbled by the fact that inspite of my worthless self, I have found priceless value in Him.

No comments: