Saturday, March 31, 2012

Happy Born Day to Kai Livngston




Today is my firstborn, Kai Livingston's, 9th Birthday. I remember the first day I laid eyes on him. It was a Monday morning. I was only 23 years of age. Fresh out of college, new to seminary life, and a full-time minister of Christian Education at a local congregation in Houston...I had NO idea how to be a Father, much less a 'Daddy'! I was so proud of my wife, D'Ani. I was in such disillusion for 9 months. I had always had the ideal of being 'ready' when I grew and had children. I had dreamt of having a house with a nice picket fence (paid for), with a few cars (almost paid for), finished with seminary, and a hefty cushion in savings...by the time our family came along. None of that ringed true. As a result, I felt a strong sense of human inadequacy. Looking back, I should have relied more upon the providential hand of God at work in D\'Ani and I\'s life. This took us by surprise (with a little assistance of our own!) but it had not caught God by surprise. Someone has said that a surprise is God\'s way of remaining anonymous.

But....when I held Kai in my arms, and looked in his eyes....I fell so deeply in love. How could God entrust me with such a small, precious gift. Though I may not have known how to be a Daddy, Kai makes it so very simple because he is such a great son. Do we have challenges? Of course...there is 3rd Grade Math! But I believe in him, as much as he believes in Dee and I as his parents, being there for him. When I held him in my arms, I was so afraid of what lay ahead...but...God has been so faithful. god has done to me as I always say to each of my boys, "I got you".

I love you, Kai. I'm excited about the young man God will grow you to become. I look forward to seeing you go further and climb higher than Daddy ever could. I love you always!

No comments: