Thursday, April 23, 2009

Jeremy Tyler...I Disagree

Obviously I am no Sports Commentator. Admittedly, I miss a lot in sports because of my schedule. But this morning in my hotel room I happened upon ESPN and discovered there is a 17-year boy named Jeremy Tyler. In a strange move for this 17-year-old, Tyler has opted to forgo his education and travel to Europe, where he will compete for a professional team. In doing so he will be the first player born in the United States to skip senior year in favour of developing his game abroad – a move that has caused a stir across the Atlantic for its bold defiance of tradition.

In 2005 the NBA imposed a rule preventing teenagers from entering the league's draft until one year after their high school graduation. As a result many talented teenagers choose to play college basketball for a year, before dropping out and trying to forge a career in the NBA.

I am typically very laid back with the decisions people make. Why? Because they are their decisions. I actually agreed with Lebron and Kobe's decision to skip college and enter the NBA Draft. After all, their millions were already solidified before ever entering the draft - that even if they were injured prior to ever playing a game, that was guaranteed income.

I may be conservative but I think this is going way TOO far. What kind of example are we setting for our kids? There are many who opt out of college and enter a Trade School, begin work, or even enter into service to their country. While I know he will more than likely get his diploma, it is the principle.

Would like to know what some in the blog world think.

3 comments:

Pastor Lance A. Mann said...

Kraig, I normally am an advocate for high school kids coming out early to play pro ball. I feel that if it is okay for an 18 year old to fight in a war, surely it is okay for him to make a living. I also prescribe to the notion that this rule is more racial than it is moral. For most of the kids who come out early are from broken African-American households.

But in the case of Jeremy Tyler, I feel that his family is exploiting him for the ability to make 1.2 million tax free dollars in Europe. I totally blame this boy's parents and hope that he is not ruined by living as an "adult" in a strange land.

Lance

Avery Minor II said...

When I first heard about the young man forgoing his senior year in high school I couldn't believe it. The worry of him getting injured and not being able to play anymore stuck out in my mind. But then as I thought about it, no one said anything when the Williams sisters went pro in tennis at age 14 and 15 or when a golfer turns pro like Michelle Wie who was also 17 when she turned pro. Its common in baseball, soccer, tennis and golf.
I don't agree with his decision, I just hope he is successful for his sake and I hope he does the right thing and atleast completes his GED.

Vietta P's two cents worth said...

I don't agree that a child should be held accountable and responsible for living and providing as an adult in an adult atmosphere. I think it is very healthy emotionally, and spiritually for each individual, to live to the fullest each stage and experiences in life. I don't care what their unique abilities and circumstances are, this is a disadvantage in the life of a child. In my opinion this is bad parenting.

Great Post